• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Internal Error?

DC

Moderator Emeritus
about 30% of the time lately (last week or so) I get the following error message. It has also started occurring when I access Bladeforums too, though not as often.

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your
request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@thefiringline.com and inform them "of the time
the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

I've been seeing these off and on, with probably four or five today. I'm seeing "500 internal server" errors. I've just hit "reload" (hehe - tac relaod? speed reload?) and the page came up.

I'm getting them both at home and work (different systems).

The website won't come up (Can't get page). Then, after variable # of retries, it finally comes up.

Then, I get the same message going into a forum summary page, into threads, and even when attempting to view folks' profiles.

This is general enough in nature to require a serious LOOK-SEE & FIX by our esteemed host SYSOP & the SW Bug Guru.

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited October 19, 1999).]

Often times when I am seeing this - on other sites as well - www.cisco.com 's net commerce sites... what we are having is a too many users trying to access at the same time.
It's all about bandwidth...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

George hit it on the head.

BladeForums.com and TheFiringLine are starting to generate so much traffic that I'm going to have to recompile the server kernel to accomodate them both.

Currently the settings are at 100 or so users can connect at the same time, it's looking like I'm going to have to upgrade that even higher.

If you get too much traffic, the server can't respond to all the .cgi requests at the same time. I could go into a discourse about this, but the short story is that this software wasn't built to handle quite this much traffic and it generates a lot of processes (posting, searching, etc etc) that wind up tying up the server, causing these errors. Recompiling the kernel should have some effect. Hopefully UBB Enterprise edition is going to be out soon, and that should take care of this problem.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Yeah, I get it too.

I get it especially at netscape when sending email. Boy its sure is frustration to spend a bunch of time writing a letter and correcting spelling, only to have it deleated. I want to start putting stuff on disc and then mailing it.

Q: Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Q: Can anyone tell me how to attach url forum links here to my threads? It would save a lot of time repeating myself for references.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Kimber...
AR15 and Glocktalk use the same UBB software....they are too popular as well :)

Equalizer...

go to www.tucows.com.....then go to mail utilities...download Free Agent..a stand alone mail utility...you will still be able to use Netscape Mozilla mail...but why? ;)

------------------

Never have any on these error's, but them again I don't bring a knife to a gunfight, hehehe.

I'm usually on at 2am EST so traffic is probably the problem, see time for this response.

I think you guy's are doing a great job.

They've gotten TERRIBLE, today-- higher traffic, I guess. It's not such a problem when I log on from work or at school (LAN, don'tcha know :)), but it SUCKS when you're running a 33.6 kb modem on bad telephone lines that never seem to give you even that. Waiting for an error 500 to load is maddening. ;)

Isn't it great how the people (like me)who contribute NOTHING to the upkeep to this system and indeed contribute to the traffic problems can always find something to complain about it? ;) :o

The Late afternoon problems were due to my meddling. A long overdue hack of the software to properly display Mod Websites.

Sorry for the pain. It's over now.
However, I'm still getting the original errors.
Rich

Kimber Man,
When I was running Internet Explorer 4 (point something) I had the same problem you described. I upgrade to 5 (point something) from Microsoft dot com (free) and the problem just went away.

YMMV, of course. ;)

I've had four "Internal Error" messages last night and tonight (Thurs p.m. Australian WST).

Just thought you'd like to know.

B

PS: Around about when it happens, it can take up to 3 minutes for a response from the TFL site to "reply" to my computer's request.

More than 60% today and when it works its slower than molasses.

------------------

The problems are occurring on both sites hosted by the Server. Unfortunately, Spark is out of pocket (traveling) 'till tonight.

I hope for a fix over the weekend.
Rich

i see we have over 2700 registered users...

how many unique IP address hit the site per day?
there has to be 10 readers to every poster for this level of service denial

dZ

Back