Interesting Range Session - With one question

Nothing wrong with using the correct threadlocker the right way. It can be a very useful thing, done right. Done wrong, not so much, and possibly even a problem.

As I posted earlier I've had good results with "Guntite". In the distant past I've even used enamel model paint or the wife's fingernail polish to lock screws in place, or serve as a tell tale to show if they have moved. All that really matters is you use something (IF NEEDED) that keeps the screws from moving and that YOU can remove the screws normally when you need to.

Something to watch for, if you shoot revolvers, is screw tightness. Something about revolvers vibration tends to loosen screws. Bit of an eye opener when a screw that you tightened, and that still looks tight goes a part of a turn when you check it with a screwdriver.

Old revolver shooters learned it was SOP to check ALL the screws for tightness, before taking the gun out to use. It think its a good practice to have properly fitting gun screwdrives and check ALL screws on anything for tightness every time the gun is removed from storage, before use.

You MAY never find a loose screw. But the first time you do, you'll realize the wisdom of checking. (and, "checking" is not reefing on the screw as hard as you can to tighten it more...:D)
Sage advice.

And, I learn something new every day. I will not be using it anymore.

Some applications, it is best. Others, not so much. It is using the proper method for the design of the threaded connection. That provided there was a "design" in the first place.

Some, with torque, are designed with friction of the flanks against each other. Some are designed to actually stretch the shank (reduced diameter) for the retention. Wire locks, enamel locks and lock washers (often used in racing and automotive) are mechanical and, as explained, "LocTite" in it's various forms have a host of applications, and sizes, but most of the standard ones utilize a chemical reaction, with or without air, to cure.

Most times when I write about thread lockers in the gun forums, I get attacked as the general public really does not get it, as 44 AMP alluded to. Just realize that a "manufacturer" may not understand it either. I've had 3 gun related cases that proved that.

Back