Interesting hunting stories

(Now you got me going)....

One year when I used to hunt with my BIL and all his DNR buddies in their cabin WAY up in the northwest corner of Wisconsin there was a huge snow storm the week before gun hunting. There was easily snow averaging waist high with drifts much higher. My BIL told me to buy, beg or borrow a pair of snowshoes or I wouldn't be able to go 20 yards. I had a relative who had a nice pair so off I went.

If you've never walked on snowshoes, the first few times are really "learning lessons". I spent more time with my head burried in that snow then walking on it I think the first day but I got the hang of it and it was one of the coolest deer hunting experiences I can remember. I had a MONSTER buck 40 yards away coming right at me (I saw his lower half body under the pines and I've never seen a deer that huge before) but somehow I dropped my attention span for a second and he just disappeared. I used my tag on a nice doe and had a great hunt that year. I've never hunted in snow like that since.

I was in south dakota hunting white tail on public land a couple of years ago. When I found out that I drew the rifle tag all I could picture was dropping a deer at 500 yards just like all the shows. In southern michigan all we can use is a shot gun. So for the next couple of months I shot religously. I was confident to 500 yards and had even gotten prety good out to 700. Then the day came there I was, I had been stalking in grassy prairy for an hour. I found a goo spot to take a shot from and got settled in. I ranged the deer at 265 yards but I was breathing too hard to shoot that far. While I was recovering my breath the nice buck and doe layed down. After about another hour passed a little 4 point came along grunting, as he got within a few feet of the doe the big buck jumped up and charged him. They ran right to me and I took the shot at 30 yards with a 300wm. So much for my long range hunting. It was a 10 point that scored 143.

Back