Interesting concentricity results

...And bending necks on purpose might not match the result of it being done by basic reloading tools. A lot of folks have tried straightening bullets by bending them and found it changed the neck's hold on the bullet enough to stop its performance from matching the rest.
So true, when I first got my Hornady concentricity tool I tried using the feature to straighten out any bullets that were too far off. This messed up the neck tension so I quit using that feature.

I'm just amazed that someone took the time to run 7.62x39 on a concentricity gauge.
Especially with different headstamps.

Kinda akin to putting a borescope down a Savage barrel....
:rolleyes:

I actually did a bit of a experiment yesterday with the 30 BW. I marked each case with a sharpie at the high point of the concentricity and loaded each with the high spot on top. Runout was .0005 tp .002. I had 2 flyers out of the bunch. The upper left flyer was wind related the lower right I think I pulled due to cheek weld. The keyword being think, not really sure. The wind was from right to left, 5 - 10 MPH

Out of 15 rounds at 200 yards. 13 of the 15 ended up at a little less than a inch, the flyers at a bit less than 2 inches center to center

Attachments

• BR at 200.jpg
    BR at 200.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 14
Nice 200 yd group Houndawg, have you shot 15 of those before without marking the highspot?, if so, do you think it improved the way they shot?

First time shooting that rifle at 200. It's a gently used BR rifle built by Bob White of NJ. I picked up a year and a half ago with a 6PPC 900 rc and a 30 BW 100 rc barrels an dnever have even put the 6PPC barrel on. Just now getting used to shooting it, shooting it free recoil is a (insert slang term for female dog) . It's a 6.5 Grendel case necked up to .30 cal, filled with N120 and a 115 flat base jammed into the lands. I want to try IBS for score next season and the local BR guru suggested I practice at 200 in the wind. The bullet has a .289 BC so a 10 mph will move it around a bit. The rifle shoots consistent high .2's and low .3's at 100 and I have never even checked concentricity until yesterday. I just did the concentricity marking figuring it can't hurt and might help. Still did not help with that bad wind call shot and the what the heck flyer

The way to check for improvement is another 15 fired going around the clock like Vaughn did, then compare to the good group.

I might load up a bunch of 68 gn Bergers with n133 for the 6 BR Thursday and try that at 100 Nick. It's a lot more shoulder friendly and even a bit more precise than the 30 BW. I did pick up a slip on Limbsaver today for the 30, yeah I am a wimp

I finally made it to the range to shoot the crimped vs. uncrimped loads. I shot two ten round groups of each type and found virtually no difference in accuracy, but a slight difference in POI. I’m just going to stick with crimping since it’s in an AR, it’s a very light crimp so shouldn’t hurt the brass in the long run.

Back