Interesting breakage

Send the barrel to Keltec, and they'll probably send you a new one. Call them-it's under warranty.

There is no way to look at finished metal and tell if it is cast. Nor are Keltec barrels made of cast steel. I'm always amazed at people with X ray vision. Of course the barrels are machined. The finish appears to be a tumbled finish, and there are a few machining marks left-but the barrel finish is actually very good.

Onward Allusion said:
Yup. Purchased new. Never really carried it. So, it became a quasi range toy, though not pleasant to shoot.

Never ran right with target ammo due to OAL of rounds. Ran fine with JHP or truncated cone.

Do you remember the brand of ammo? I'd like to try it.

I like to discover the limits of my weapons. I know that I can make the PF9 hang by loading to a longer-than-usual COL. But I've never found a factory round it wouldn't digest.

I still have a Glock that will eat anything the KelTec won't.

To me the PF9 is anything but a range toy - I only bought it to carry it. I've shot it enough to become proficient and I put a mag through it maybe once a month just to be sure. But I carry it a lot - like always :)

Have not seen one

I have not seen a barrel made of cast steel.

One issue with castings is air can be incorporated in a casting. A void in a barrel casting....
I work with X-ray equipment, and castings are routinely imaged in three dimensions for porosity. I sell that technology in another profession. The manufacturer makes more machines for inspection than they do for dental, same tech tho. Just lots more KV for inspection.
For critical strength parts like aircraft they image and inspect 100%.

It was just Fiocchi JHP's. Not even the exotic stuff, just the 124 gr JHP stuff that costs around $15 a box of 50.

I didn't know the lug was busted until I got it home 'cause the slide had a hard time coming off at the range.

Well, that didn't take long.
It's been said that Glocks provide a firearm-related corollary to Godwin's Law.

The Gaston Corollary to Godwin's Law (with a nod to berettaprofessor on THR) may be stated as follows:

"As an online firearm discussion grows longer, the probability of someone gratuitously introducing Glocks into the discussion approaches 1"

Lol, of course nothing ever happens to a Glock. Never a failure of any kind. Yet someone posted a pic of this Glock with a broken lug. But of course Glock will get a free ride.

Who said that? Lots more than Glocks have broken. Every major firearms manufacturer at one time has had parts breakages and/or catastrophic failures.

It's been said that Glocks provide a firearm-related corollary to Godwin's Law.

The Gaston Corollary to Godwin's Law (with a nod to berettaprofessor on THR) may be stated as follows:

"As an online firearm discussion grows longer, the probability of someone gratuitously introducing Glocks into the discussion approaches 1"

Now I wonder if there will ever be a proper place to use the phrase 'glock nazi'.

Lol, of course nothing ever happens to a Glock. Never a failure of any kind. Yet someone posted a pic of this Glock with a broken lug. But of course Glock will get a free ride.

https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/g...43236914322477

That linked article is dated April 2009, exactly 4 months before I bought my very first polymer wondergun Glock Gen3 17. Now you tell me after all these years I may have to deal with the possibility of a broken barrel lug on not one but four of my wonderful up until now Glocks? I feel duped & betrayed, no longer can I count on the stellar reliability of my Glock firearms with the possibility of this patent defect hanging over my head! My Glocks will now be relegated to the back of my gun safe, never to see the light of day again. Thank you internet for turning my once safe & secure life into living HECK!

Back