Interesting box of ammo

It is likely, particularly given the "name recognition" of the day, that at least some of the packaging was prepared before "the ink was dry" on the deal.

When one company buys another, there are three ways things change. One way, the new owners run the old packages until the stock is gone, then switch over. Second way is run both old and new until the old is used up.

Third way, new owners are proud of their name, want it on the product from day one of ownership, and have supplies of new packaging already made up and ready for use when the deal is official. At a guess, I'd say this is what they did then.

I remember an article years ago by Skeeter Skelton concerning the .41 rimfire derringer. He carried one as a backup thinking it would suffice. One day he said he got an urge and fired a round at a fence post after which he walked over and plucked it out of the wood with his fingers. It had not even penetrated the depth of the bullet into the wood. He said he stopped carrying it after that experience.

Wasn't President Lincoln killed with a .41 blackpowder deringer? I imagine it was very similar in power to the .41 rimfire. I read somewhere that the doctor attending him could insert his finger into the wound almost to the depth of the bullet, but couldn't remove the bullet for some reason. I believe when he probed the wound, he said "his wound is mortal", and that was the end of the attempts at saving him.

The .41 muzzleloading derringer would have a lot more power and penetration than the rimfire version of the caliber. I don't think I would want either after me at short range...or any range for that matte.

Howdy

Here is a box of Navy Arms 41 Rimfire ammo that I recently bought at an auction. I don't have a gun to fire them with, I just like old cartridges. The box was almost full, 43 rounds to be exact.

41RimFire03_zps25320137.jpg

Does anyone have a good SWAG on the year of that Navy Arms 41 Rimfire ammo box?????????, The box almost looks like "toy" bullets for a 1960s cap gun.. Love the box art on that one..

By the way any chance of someone taking a photo of these 41 rimfire rounds a side of some other rounds????

Last edited:
I don't know if there were other runs of the ammo made with the same style box, but I got a box like that for my dads Remington derringer back in the 80's I believe. I don't know how new it was, that's just when I got them.

Those rounds are .41 Short Rimfire, which was used mainly in "derringers", Remington's and others*. There was also a .41 Long Rimfire, case length .630" or thereabouts, which was used in revolvers, Colt's and others. Like other calibers, the "short" round could be fired in a gun made for the "long" but the opposite was not always the case.

*Not by Deringer; he died in 1868 and the only cartridge handguns produced by the company were revolvers.

Jim

Interesting and informative thread everyone. Cool to see some history on the output of a local plant and history of the round. Thanks to all of the long time hands in educating some of us novices.

I have lived in general proximity of the Peters facility in Kings Mills, OH for many years. Lots of interesting stuff on the location and company is available on the interweb, but it is very cool to drive by this decrepit relic which is right on the edge of a well traveled road.

If you are interested, you can do an aerial view and drive by road view to see much of it with Google Maps using the following address:
1434 Grandin Road, Kings Mills, OH

The tops of the stacks and cornices of the buildings still show the 'P' and look very imposing. Images of one of the stacks has most recently been used in advertising by the relatively new HD dealership - Powder Keg HD.

Last edited:
Very interesting, Mike, and thanks. I knew about the Otis Smith revolvers but always assumed that the ".41 Rimfire" cited as one of the calibers was .41 RF Long. At least they didn't call it the ".41 Rimfire Magnum."

Jim

As a matter of interest, I saw two boxes of .41 Short r.f. at the Memphis Gun Show last Saturday. Whether they were full or not I can't say. They both were the old Remington green boxes with the red stripe.

Bob Wright

.41 rimfire is one of the more commonly seen boxes at gunshows and in collections. Just how often it is seen is a testament to just how widespread and popular the guns were, even if they weren't very effective.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Moore teat-fire at a gun show. I don't know why, but the dealer gave me a funny look when I asked if he would throw in a box of ammo.

Jim

The .32 is expensive, but the .45 is just insanely priced.

I've seen one box of .45 teat fire in the years I've been haunting gun and cartridge shows, and it was 5 figures...

There are very few Moore .45 teatfire revolvers in existence, too. Horst Held firearms auctions had one advertised for $13,500.

Back