Instructor Ethics 101: Would you bet your life on that?

Jerry,

In my opinion, it's unethical for an instructor to offer CCW classes without being very clear with his students as to what they are learning and -- more important! -- what they are not learning in the class. That's how you meed the obligation your students put on your shoulders when they enroll in your class.

Sure, most CCW permit students are so ignorant when they first come into the class that they don't realize they need to learn more than the permission-slip class will give them if they want to be well-prepared to protect their lives. But getting that idea over to them is part of the instructor's ethical obligation to these beginning students. (And, of course, a certain number of students will choose to remain determinedly ignorant, but that's not the instructor's fault. You can only educate the educable...)

If you've taken a CCW permit class and your instructor did not explain the limitations of the class to you, that instructor failed you most profoundly -- and failed to meet the ethical obligations of a defensive firearms instructor.

pax

Pax - it was not my intent to imply either of the points you surmised :-)

My fault - let me put that thought in the context that i failed to heretofore .

I have never had a problem teaching women the basics and getting them utilizing proper fundamentals.

I have never had a woman show up with an "attitude" that they were Gods gift to the tactical community. (Again I teach organizations and sometimes my students don't even want to be there)

I (personal opinion based on experience) find women more receptive and easier to teach.

And no - only a minuscule few make bad students male or female. I can probably count on one hand ones that I wouldn't want to teach again.

As to your "fun" observation - im with you 100%. I keep it fun as much as possible - When they start getting into moving in depth, tactical entries, team movements im not saying they should be nonchalant - BUT they need to have a level of relaxation that is not going to be helped by piling on them USMC Paris Island style. :-)

and yes its a balancing act and a half

And to your final point about women tending to get quieter -

I was married once - I am well acquainted with the "silence" technique

my wife was world class at that one - even the dog would beat me to the garage when she deployed that technique. :-)

sfmedic ~

My apologies for leaping to conclusions. Shouldn't have, should have asked for clarification. Thanks for clearing it up.

And to your final point about women tending to get quieter -

I was married once - I am well acquainted with the "silence" technique

my wife was world class at that one - even the dog would beat me to the garage when she deployed that technique. :-)

:D

pax

Hi Pax,
I have to disagree with you on this. When people take the class they know that they are getting instruction in order to obtain a concealed carry permit. They are told, and have a brochure stating what the state requires, and how much time will be spent on each element.

My friend offers more advanced classes, but the people who enroll in his class are only concerned with being able to legally carry a concealed handgun. Of all his students not one wanted to take a more advanced class. A fair percentage of students are over 50 and most are not interested in anything but to be legal when, and if, they carry.

Some on forums like this one have guns as close to the center of their lives. But they are exceptions and very few people are interested in being able to defend against multiple BGs in various situations.

I do not know even one person who has, except in the line of duty, had to use a firearm in SD. I am closely acquainted with LEOs and retired law enforcement officers and less than 1% carry off duty or after retirement. These are Border Patrol, FBI, Federal Marshals, and local officers.

They make a point of stating that they got tired of carrying a gun on duty, and do not want one off duty. Not one has been attacked. Of course the probability of an attack always exists, but many of us are not willing to make SD a very high priority in life due to the extremely small probability of being attacked. Guns are the hobby and passion of gun forum members, but not the bulk of gun owners.
I do carry 98% of the time where legal. If for whatever reason I do not carry I am not really concerned about it.

Regards,
Jerry

Jerry,

Yep. I'm aware that a lot of instructors see their CCW students as nothing more than a way to make money on government-required fees, and do not bother explaining to students why they should learn more than the state requires. I don't think much of instructors who work that way.

Although many people carry their firearms like they carry a lucky rabbit's foot, that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about an ethical instructor's duty to his or her students. How to talk the determinedly ignorant out of their complacency isn't the subject of the thread.

Thanks.

pax

CCW students as nothing more than a way to make money on government-required fees

Not me, I don't charge for my classes. Further, I got the club to waive the range fees ($5 for non-members).

Most of the ladies I teach couldn't afford to attend a class where they had to pay $250 or more. Heck I even provide the ammo.

They already paid via their tax dollars, the government (City, State, and Federal) paid a lot of money to train me as a firearm instructor of one sort or the other.

I don't charge for my rifle clinics either, but that's for selfish reason, I want to get rifle matches started in this area and one way to get interest is free rifle clinics.

Besides, I don't want SD or shooting sports to become a rich man's (or women's) game.

Kraig ~

More power to you! I hope you always have lots of students, and that you impress on your students that they need to learn more as and when they are able.

To be clear, I absolutely applaud volunteer efforts -- when they are done by people who have done their homework and strive to provide good quality instruction, by people who understand the frightening level of trust students place in you when they come to you. I'm not a fan of half-hearted, half-assed efforts from people who haven't done their homework and are just trying to save a few bucks (or just trying to skim some easy fees from rubes who don't know what they're missing). But I don't think you or anyone here would do that.

On the flip side, "the laborer is worth his wages." Honest work should be rewarded with honest pay, and you can't feed your family on air & love. So while voluntarism is admirable, there's also nothing wrong with making a living at it.

pax

Back