Innocent Weapons

I've stated this on several other posts but a Mini Mag Light (2 AA Batteries) makes an excellent Kubaton. Place your thumb over the lens and swing away. Although this is way too close for comfort, there are place where it is illegal to carry. Actually, I do this often while travelling since many places don't let you carry weapons.

As for where to strike with the Mini Mag Light, it depends how much damage you want to do. I would go for the front of the shoulder joint where all the nerves are. That will take the arm out of comission for a good five minutes for most people. Don't believe me, give yourself a good firm punch with your knuckles and see if it hurts. Now think about a hard aluminum flash light with a small surface area. You can also go for a head shot but you may end up cracking somebody's skull. Try to hit the side of the head rather than the front as the forehead is the strongest part of the skull.

You can also grasp the Mini Mag between you second and third fingers where the lens is and use it as a mini club. This is particularly nasty against the clavical and is also good for hits to the head as well. If you are somewhat trained in martial arts, you can block a puch and use the Mini Mag against the attacker's ribs. (Rib shots can be done holding the flashlight either way).

You can carry one very discreetly in your strong side back pocket and no one will protest. I had better shut up now before they start banning flashlights. Just remember this is against someone who isn't armed so the flashlight can and probably will be perceived as a weapon. My advice, stop the attack and make yourself scarce unless you afraid the attacker will return to your home or business. In that case, you should call the cops.

I usually keep a maglite in each car. They just seem to be a good flashlight for roadside trouble. I also carry one when I take a walk in the evening. I figure that's as much a safety device to avoid getting run over as a safety device that could be used against an aggressive dog or person for that matter.

I prefer a Surefire over a Maglite. This model seems to be the ticket. It has a crenellated bezel that makes an excellent striking weapon should the need arise.

Back