Innocent Weapons

Hard Ball

Innocent Weapons

Most weapons are designed for open unconcealed darry. Some of them, such as pistols and edged weapons can be carried concealed, but once you draw one it obviously is a weapon.
There are two other classes of weapons. They are covert weapons and innocent weapons. Covert weapons are things that do not look like weapons but have a weapon concealed inside them. Sword canes and gun canes are god examples. They were very popular in the 1800s, but there usefolness has been greatly reduced by modern tedhnology such as X-rays amd meral detectors.
Inoccebt weapons still work because if properly selected there is nothing to indicate that they are weapons until you use them.
My favorite is a cane. I am familiar with Japanese stick fighitng partiularly the Jo which is a straight hardwood stick 3 to 3.5 feet long The Jo was developed by Muso Gozen in Japan around 1600. A skilled man with a Jo could often defeat a man with a samurai sword. Jo techniques can easily be adopted for use with a regular crook handled cane or a hiker's staff. The cane is particularly useful because it can be carried literally any where with a little prior planning. If this inerests you, Canemasters offers excellent self defense canes and videos showing how to use them
There are other things that can be used as innocent weapons. You can probably think of some yourself. I feel that they are worth having and knowing how to use them..

I have a walking stick that has a big "ball" on the top that is leaded. The stick is more of a staff really.

Wayne

One of my favorites is the bandana and coin (or other hard object) combination. Can be carried pretty much anywhere and is pretty compact and lightweight.

Hard Ball

The martial arts class I take, a form of Aikido, has incorporated the study of cane techniques along with the jo and short stick.

The cane can be very effective weapon with good training, not bad even w/o it. It is a big stck after all.

About the shortest stick is the Kubotan. I know, it's a pretty close contact weapon but it's better then nothing, can be very effective and goes completely unnoticed on a keychain. There's a lot of places you just can't carry a long stick around with you.

Innocent weapons I carry every day:
Keys
Cigarrette lighter ( I don't smoke, just occasionally need a quick source of flame)
Pen
Wristwatch (brass knuckles)

Not-so innocent weapons I also carry every day:
CRKT KISS knife
S&W Extreme Ops Camo folder (3.75 inch blade)

Be careful of using certain "sticks" as they may qualify under a state's laws against public possession of a "baton", "night stick", bludgeon or other "blunt instrument". There was a fairly recent publicized fight in a local burger joint where some "gangsta" started shoving a guy around then got trounced by his victim using his cane. Gangsta went to jail and a few days later the DA decided that use of a cane by an "able bodied person with no infirmities" constituted a weapon. A brief letter-writing campaign to the county, the DA and cops caused them to drop the charges. The DA still insists that he'll prosecute any "able bodied" people carrying sticks or canes because "those should only be used by legitimately handicapped people" !!

Doesn't Cali suck? I read an article in First Freedom about SF.. sad whats happening to such a pretty city(well, the non slums anyways)

That's what is so wonderful about a cane, it's legal everywhere for me. It's nice to have a BIG scar on your ankle from a previous injury that gives credence to the "need" to carry one. (The ankle does not slow me down for now, but you can look at it and tell it's not like it used to be.)

The short stick we train with is "iffy" to walk around with, but a simple, unadorned 24x1" dowel rod in a rancher's pick-up is not considered a "billy club" in Texas.

Drumsticks

I used to carry my largest, heaviest pair of drumsticks around with me when I was in a band. I also began to dabble in escrima, a very potent short-sticks artform.

"I also began to dabble in escrima."

I guess my mind was in the gutter for a minute. I thought you wrote "excreta". That's a whole different ballgame, tho I bet it could be effective under some circumstances.

How about a D cell Maglite? Is that considered a weapon anywhere?

For that matter a little bitty Surefire (or Maxfire) shined into somebody's eyes ought to dazzle them enough for you to make a retreat.

No, even a 2-D maglite would seem to be useful - anyway much better than bare hands.

It's just a flashlight, after all ;)

I bought one for each of my daughters, and showed them how to hold it on there shoulder for light and also ready to swing, for going to their car after dark, etc.

There have been qute a few "disagreements" between the two motorcycle "clubs" around here lately. Being an unaffiliated motorcycle enthusiest, I run into these folks from time to time but they're usually very nice. I met one the other day and noticed he had a padlock on his riding jacket. Asked him what it was for and he replied, "You swing it with a bandanna."

My son referred to a heavy Master Lock padlock on the end of anything like a bandana as a "Smiley" because of the wound shape it would produce.

Back