Injury ?

In this case no pain is gain. Simply put if it hurts to do it, don't do it. Allow time to heal and begin adding more stress as allowed by pain. Stop when it hurts and allow some recovery before attempting again. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bill

"...you injure something...it just stays hurting..." Longer, but it does heal. Your relative fitness level matters too though.
"...how long did it take..." Torn tendon in my shoulder took a year to go away, but every now and again it still hurts. And that's with no surgery. Surgery alone takes about 3 months to get over.
I suspect that it might help if you load 240's to .44 Special velocities for a while. Cast might be best.

Targa wrote:
...how long did it take before you were fully back in the saddle again...

Thinking back to when I was in my 40s, for picking up things like a sugar bowl, it took about two months before things didn't hurt. For heavier stuff, it was about a year.

A couple of decades later, I'd probably double those timeframes.

As you age - and in your 40's you are aging - your body devotes progressively less of its resources to self-repair so recovery times lengthen. Moderate exercise and a good diet consisting of a variety of foods (mostly plants) can slow the progression of resources away from self-repair, but you can neither reverse the trend nor even stop it. You don't need to "go quietly into that good night", but keep in mind that no matter how much you "rage against the dying of the light" we all must enter that good night.

Back