Inherited some rifles/shotguns

VADER

So, yesterday I received 8 different rifles/shotguns. Some look pretty old. I was curious about people's opinions on what's worth keeping. I will try and keep most, and maybe sell to my local shop. I haven't tried adding pictures, I will have to figure it out.
J Stevens double barrel model 335 maybe
H&R topper jr classic shotgun
Mossberg 500e 410 pistol grip
Jc Higgins model 20 12 gauge pump
Savage arms model 181t? .22 rifle with scope
Remington model 11 semi auto- looks old
Remington sportsman 58 12 gauge
Remington model 720 .30-06 with scope

They look like they all need resto or cleaning, but I am not touching until I do some research. I don't want to remove any patina. I will keep the 30-06, the sportsman 58, and the 500e .410 at minimum. If anyone if interested, I can try and add pictures.

The jc higgins was a sears brand name I believe that hi standard made them.
Sears went by model numbers and if it is a 583.xxx that seems to specify on that model hi standard as the maker from what I have seen,

after checking them, id shoot and enjoy all of them.

Last edited:
What are they worth to YOU? Any particular family memories connected to any of them? Keep those. None are rare or worth a lot of cash, so the family memory part is the ruling factor......
Anything about them you need from a cartridge/gauge standpoint?

All common sporting arms of medium or medium low dollar value.
EXCEPT
The Remington Model 720 is a RARE rifle. Less than 2500 made right before WWII. And of those the Navy bought 1000. Those were given as match trophies by Navy and Marines.
Scope installation in conventional drill and tap mounts will reduce collector value but not wipe it out. Period Stith Instal it Yourself mount would be a plus. G&H or other maybe.

(In case of typo, Rem. 721 is a completely different rifle, rather common.)

The 3 I mentioned I would keep have the most sentimental value, probably even the .22 . I don't really think anything is valuable especially with the condition, but I was curious if anything is garbage or even dangerous to try and shoot. They are all cool in a way. The double barrel gets nicer the more I look at it.

Now to see how to clean them up without doing any damage.

Thanks guys

Don't sell them at a local shop unless you want to throw them in a box marked FREE. Many shops only give 50% value. If it's worth $100 then expect $50 and maybe them saying it's only worth 40. You're best to put up a listing at a local gun club depending on what's legal in your state.

I just checked, yes 720 serial starts with 40. The weaver scope has a patent date of 1932 but I cannot figure out how it was mounted. Almost looks like a plate was welded on, no bolts.

Need close clear pictures to identify the mount.
But most are a one way street, what you see is what you have. Still a nice and underappreciated rifle.

That model 11 Remington is valuable too, don't give it away.
721 is cool and the 58 is cool.
Why don't you keep all of them and get them checked out by a Smith and shoot them...
And the JC Higgins is made by High Standard on a Browning patent, but value is not crazy high on those, 200 - 300 to somebody that needs one in Super shape to fill a collection.

View of inside barrel, looks like it was maybe bolted and made flush?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 100
Griffin & Howe Double Lever Side Mount.
About the only scope installation that does not detract from the value of a 1941 rifle.
I think there are three screws and two pins, all ground flush.

Beware of peggysue trying to buy it from you cheap.

Thanks, you know your stuff. I won't sell it, not a chance, I have been eyeballing it since I was a kid. My brother wants the .22 so I will offer it to him.

I will see if the local gun store wants the topper jr. Or the pump, maybe use towards a purchase?

NE FL means there are gun clubs in the area. I'd go to them and put up some WTS ads and see what happens first. Gun stores and pawn shop will give you MAYBE 60% - they have to cover overhead and make a profit.

I have a Sportsman 58 that was my father's. The receiver has a tendency to crack where the charging handle can make contact. My father fired thousands of shells through it and it has a hairline fracture about a quarter of an inch long right there. I don't intend to fire it again, except in self defense.

I started taking apart the model 11 after hearing a rattling in it. Inside the feeding tube there was a 6-7" dowel of wood. I assume to keep the spring straight. I watched a video on taking this apart and they didn't have one. I have yet to take the spring out, but is that original and do I need it?

Back