Inhaled gas mitigation

That's what they say about flow through. Our military uses a lot of them. Back pressure is the first priority, muzzle signature second, sound report the third.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Stressor said:
I've grown tired of inhaling gas and everything in it so I'm taking a multi-faceted approach to increase my training effectiveness and shooting pleasure.

I've done plenty of NBC/CBRN training in my military career. I can tell you that wearing a mask that'll restrict your breathing does nothing to improve effectiveness and pleasure. Also any mask that uses external screw or filters will interfere with your ability to shoot accurately unless you're able to use it with only one filter on the offhand side.

Suppressor weren't used by my units, but I have thousands of rounds experience shooting blanks. A blank adapter redirects most of the gasses back out the chamber. I know I must of inhaled a lot of gasses, I just don't remember it effecting me.

I've done a lot of shooting in MOUT shooting live fire, rubber bullets, and blanks. You train like you fight, and I remember being out of breath and sometimes gagging from physical exertion, and once really messed up from heat exhaustion. I don't remember a time that I felt diminished by the blowback gasses of an M16 or other automatic weapons fire.

I really don't see gassing as a big issue when the majority of people train outdoors. Maybe if you're shooting indoors at a range or shoot houses, but most of those have very expensive mitigation systems that keep air moving and filtered. I also feel that any protective mask that doesn't have eye protection is worthless.

You can still absorb the same harmful things through eye and skin contact. Skin will be slower and can be washed of before it can do a lot of damage. The eyes is a far different story as you can be affected in some cases faster than inhalation. Shooting glasses do little to stop gasses from getting around the edges.

Last edited:
Alsonany mask that uses external screw o filters will interfere with your ability to shoot accurately unless you're able to use it with only one filter on the offhand side.
Gentex sotr and risers.

All I'm saying is your awful focused on one aspect and ignoring others. Did you read any of the white papers to see how the experiments for the article were conducted, and what levels of exposure were introduced on the mice. If you want to wear a respirator style mask while shooting that's all you. Another member mentioned LARPing, and that mask reminds me of something Gecko45 would want. Of course I'm showing my age refrencing back to an infamous mall ninja. :D

I can tell you I haven't read through the multiple references cited to the article you linked. Nor have I tracked down the organization doing the testing to see if there is an ulterior motive behind these experiments. I often feel these articles are a lot of chcken little crying "The sky is falling!" Just take the article with a grain of salt, and realize it may be about making sure toxic firearms can only be owned by a benevolent government.

The only time gas in the face has bothered me is when shooting a suppressed AR/M4 from a bench/prone. Like when zeroing. Even then, if there is any breeze at all, its minimal.

Based on the OP’s other topics..shotgun breaching rounds, chest harness type ammo bearing rigs, I'm betting these questions arise more from Call of duty then any real issue.

I was sick (cancer) once. I don't want to be sick again. I understand what op is trying to do. Nothing wrong.

I am still shooting my guns. But I have changed quite a bit the way I do it. Crying child? I just don't want to be sick again. You go on being the tough guy.

I have seen plenty of tough guys on the firing line. In their mind 2A trumps everything. They eat, drink, smoke while they shoot. It is their choice. I don't bother them.

Having said that, it would be a totally different matter if the authority mandates us to wear gas mask while shooting our guns.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
"Did you read any of the white papers to see how the experiments for the article were conducted...I can tell you I haven't read through the multiple references cited to the article you linked."
kek

Last edited:
Stressor said:

That explains a lot, I do get the gamer refrence. I had a lot of soldiers who played World of Warcraft.

The white papers are where all the real data on the testing is at. However, if you want to trust one article and not read all the information that's your choice. I just figured some people would learn something from blindly trusting science out of fear, and realize not all science these days is actually scientific. There are "actual scientists" who skew data to the desired outcome instead of following the data to an actual result.

So go ahead and laugh at me. I just ask what's your actual experience with shooting and training with a sealed mask over your nose and mouth? I can tell you from real world experience, it's not fun, it's uncomfortable, and extremely hard to breathe under physical exertion. You'll also pray that you never have put your training to use in a real world scenario where a protective mask or upgraded MOPP levels are needed.

You'll also pray that you never have put your training to use in a real world scenario where a protective mask or upgraded MOPP levels are needed.
Yes I won't need it Inshallah, but that mentality applies to a lot of things.

Last edited:
Lots of comments with no real solutions here.

Most effective thing you can do is limit the gas actually coming back into the system. Black River Tactical makes a gas tube called an EZ Tune. Put in the specs of your AR and they'll send you a gas tube with a restricted port designed to work with your system.

The KAK Down Vent BCG you mentioned is a solid choice too, although it's just redirecting the gas into the mag. Definite decrease in gas to face, minor increase in dirtying up the mag and internals. The reduction in port pop is a nice added bonus.

And you can top it all off with a nice gas busting charging handle. Griffin SNACH, Silencerco GDCH, PRI Gas Buster, etc. Avoid the Radian Raptors if gas busting is your priority, the shelf isn't tall enough and even the SD version doesn't make a noticeable difference.

Not sure why I mentioned the SilencerCo handle, I now remember that the O-ring system they use to make it so effective falls apart fairly quickly.

I can vouch for the Griffin SNACH, as long as you're not a lefty. The Geissele and BCM Mk2 options are solid as well.

Back