Info on this 6.5mm Swedish rifle

The 6.5x55 service load was generally around 45k CUP. But all the actions were proofed up to 66k PSI (or the CUP equivalent). To get a catastrophic failure on a Swede action takes about the same level of carelessness as it does on a newer action.

I switched over to neck sizing my 6.5x55 brass as the chambers are "generous" to say the least. Some folks say you can use Lapua brass and full length size every time, but the chamber in my M38 was enough to cause bulging between 1/3 and 1/2 up the body from the case head on the first firing. Can't blame the Winchester brass for bulging into a chamber that oversized.

Jimro

swedish steel

The Swedes DID NOT USE PLAIN CARBON STEEL in their M96s. They alloyed with nickel, copper, and vanadium. That's why they are still goin strong. Low phosphorus iron ore alloyed with these made a very strong, corrosion resistant firearms. The only problem is the gas system if you loaded too hot or had a Burst casing, ruptured primer. That's not very likely to happen using new factory ammo or in-spec reloads using quality new supplies. I have a 1906 & 1907 M96s. They quickly became my favorites. 06 is sporterized and has a Barska 8-32x44 SWAT scope while I let the 07 remain in its full military glory. I'd love to own that lil 18" 1894 karbin. Be sure to check your headspace before shooting. My 06 was re-arsenenaled and the bolt was over-stamped to match the reciever. Yours isn't so I'd be sure to check the headspace first...Load a shell and see how the bolt closes first then place a piece of tape on the case head and check for resistance while trying to close the bolt. It should be hard to close ......you'll love it after the 1st shot.

Jimro, Yes the Swedes service ammo is about 45- 46KCUP. But you are wrong about 66K PSI. They were proofed at 66KCUP. Old pressure data often used crusher methods and expressed it as PSI.

Slam, Would you not think that loaded ammo by Norma, RWS, and some other Euro companies are +P. Their pressures typically run 50KCUP and are sold to be used in the Swedes 94 and 96 actions. Yeah, I know that the reloading site for Norma says to use "strong and modern" actions with their reload data. So why is there no disclaimer not to use Norma's loaded 6.5X55 in the Swede service rifles(including the Swede's one locking lugged Krag-Jorgenson)? Norma uses the 96 actions in developing and testing their 6.6X55ammo.
The CG-63 is a 96 action remade(they started making them in 1963) by the Swedes and although most are in 6.5X55; CG, Norma and others did make them in 308 and 7.92X57. 308 would probaly be closer to ++P.

Keepin Jeepin, Commercially made ammo that you find should be fine in your rifle.
If you reload, don't start out hotrodding the old girl. Work up slowly and safely or you may get a rifle like the one Slam pictured.

As Jimro stated the Swede actions are strong but lack a superior gas handling system like the 98 mauser. Best to All

Last edited:
I bought my first m94 in the mid 1950's from a Montgomery Wards store. They had stacks of them in three prices. $19.95 well used, $24.94 better, and $29.95 looked new.

Back