Info On Enfiield?

Hi, James. They think its some kind of makers mark thing. The thoery is that some rifles with the mark don't seem to have had any work done to them, so the mark must mean something other than Factory Repair.

gyvel said:
"GRI" stamps and a 1962 date tell me that this Ishapore is an older gun ( the reciever, at least) that went through repair/refurbishment in 1962.

I don't think. The wrist stamping is identical to my 1962 RFI that has not been through FR.
Isshy02.jpg

JimK said:
I have never seen anything but "factory repair", a shortening of "factory thorough repair" or FTR used by the British.

I have always believed it to be "Factory Repair" a short version of the British FTR. The Skennerton books call it this, I think the Stratton books do to.

Does your gun also have "GRI" acceptance stamps on the receiver?

No. It's a 1962 production, RFI, as are all post 1948 Ishapore rifles.

The OP's No1 has RFI on the buttsocket. This is a post-1948 rifle. The 1962 date looks legit to me. We most be looking at two different rifles. The first photo clearly shows a RFI identification mark. I'm not seeing any GRI marking on the buttsocket.

For those new to the LE, we are talking about the buttsocket stamp, RFI or GRI.

Military rifles manufactured at Ishapore pre-1949 are stamped "GRI" on the buttsocket, referring to George Rex, Imperator (i.e. King George VI, last Emperor of India), whilst military rifles manufactured post-1948 are stamped "RFI", which stands for Rifle Factory, Ishapore.

Last edited:
The rifle has "RFI" on the socket. I think someone's confusing where the stamp is, there seems to be a "GRI" stamp on what looks like the breech end of the barrel. (5th image down in the original set)
enfield2.jpg

The OP's No1 has RFI on the buttsocket. This is a post-1948 rifle. The 1962 date looks legit to me. We most be looking at two different rifles. The first photo clearly shows a RFI identification mark. I'm not seeing any GRI marking on the buttsocket.

The "GRI" is on the forward receiver ring, not on the butt socket. It's not a big deal to grind markings off the butt socket then restamp.

With that lacquered finish and the mix and match stamps I get the feeling this gun was born out of a parts crate.
That is my feeling.

India gained its independance well before 1962. Why would GRI, George Rex Imperious, barrel be on an Indian 1962 receiver?

Back