Info for new rifle buyers

I was seeing the same questions being posted over and over again so I thought that I'd post some general information that would help them out. I made no statement that what I was posting was the only information out there or that it was the end-all for information. Sheesh.

NO NO -- THIS IS GREAT INFORMATION!! I like very much.

The sarcasm was directed to these 'characters' who think you need a 1:8 twist on 223 VARMINT rifle. And naturally 1:7 is better and if only they could get a 1:6. Mind you not for some extreme long range sport with 100 grain bullets, but for a normal person shooting ground hogs who might even like to shoot bullets as heavy as 55 grains due to low cost availability.

Then to top it off, same data from anther source.

The bitter pill to swallow is the great old 222 was pretty much replaced with the 223. Now over time, those specific 223 guns that gave excellent service as a 222 replacement are all getting turned into black ops, Rambo jambo, 1000 yard whatchma clallits. What is left for varmint shooting. The 204 ruger?

I may even be on the wrong website. Ok, it is all just talk. But, not a slam on the op. Not in the least.

Yes, 14 does seem slow. I missed that, for 222 maybe. But 1:12 will work for 223 varmint guns and it is annoying to hear about 1:9 is too slow for varmint.

Last edited:
Back