Inexpensive handgun

S&W SD9VE or SD40VE. Typically around $300 at Academy. Sometimes on sale for $280. I have one with an Apex trigger kit. Nice little 9.

There's almost too many to list in that price range. In revolver first thought new would be RIA model #200 or used S&W model 10. Both are 38dpl.

buy a hi-point before a sccy, but can i recommend a gun thats not only cheap, but fantastic, a tri-star T-100, they sell at academy for 319$, or buds for a slight bit more, i have thousands through mine with absolutely zero malfunctions and many others have the same experience, the eaa sar b6 is also a decent turkish gun, its polymer, but essentially the same design only full-sized, they are under 300, these are both 9mms and cz clones

old fart, were I purchasing a firearm based on your criteria, I would seriously consider a used S&W Model 10. Not glamorous, but likely to be dependable and durable, and it is a US made " name brand" revolver. Some, appearing to be in very good condition, have sold on auction sites for $300.00 or less.

Much as I like semi autos, there is always the possibility to getting one that is not functionally reliable. I carried a model 10 40+ hours a week for some time and it never failed to fire when the trigger was pulled. I cannot say the same for some of the semi autos I've owned...ymmv

I would go with a Ruger P-series. I know there not made new anymore but a P89 or P90 is easily attainable for under $300. And if you do a little looking you should be able to find a P95 at that price point, though I prefer the alloy frame versions.

+1.

The Ruger P series are nice, low priced guns so if you can find one, it would serve you very well.

I would also agree with those who have recommended the Smith & wesson Model 10. Quite honestly if I saw "the flash," a Model 10 would be my pickup-and-run-gun.

.38 Special ammo is just about as common as dirt and probably will be for some time to come. Also, the Model 10 is a gun that I know is always going to work when I pull the trigger (well, mine are anyway), and there are still plenty of parts available for it.

My opinion is based on practical aspects that may not appeal to everyone. YMMV

A used Taurus 66/669 in .357 mag seems like it fits the bill to me. I have had mine for 20 years and it is my go to woods hand gun. The thing hits whatever I'm aiming at and has never had a hiccup.

i have a SD40VE, sd9VE, and a SD40 (all black with front night site) all great little $300 firearms. i got my VE's used for $269 out the door. for that price i got way more gun than i paid for. 7000+ rounds throuhg my SD40VE and no issues at all

i also had the s&w ve in 9mm, it was very reliable and shot decently, thats a good recommendation for a budget gun, i sold mine only due to the large size, it ran pretty much flawless exept the last round in the mag would sometimes nose up in the chamber, no biggie, the mag held enough rounds that you are not gonna need that last one(hopefully)

pretty much just a glock with a little looser tolerences, no manual saftey, longer trigger pull, striker fired

sold mine for 250, bet you could find one cheaper than that if you looked hard enough

heres a good one, will go fast
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/244462-SD9VE-Smith-amp-Wesson-Brand-New!!-300-00

The last S&W Mod 10 I saw in a store was over the OP's budget; as are every example that can be found easily online. I think the last time I saw one under $300 was right around the time I started getting into shooting. I suppose this might vary by location too.

I did see a bunch of S&W 64's going on gunbroker last year for $250-$300. You might get lucky.

I've noticed that there are a lot fewer Model 10's for sale in general lately... no doubt a testament to it's continued popularity.

Best bet is used for sure:

Used:

-Bersa Thunder 9

-CZ 52

-BHP clone (FEG, etc.)

-FEG PA63

-Star Firestar (love these)

-CZ 83

-Star BM

-Makarov

-Rossi or Taurus basic snubbie .38

-S&W 10, yep

-Ruger SR9

New:
-Hi-Point (that's it)

-Maybe a Kel-Tec (how much are they? I don't think under $300 are they?)

Don't fall into the Sccy trap - looks good but it's a siren's song - junk. BTDT.

I posted in your thread on THR as well, but I'll add here as well. I am looking for an inexpensive HD handgun myself, and have decided on the EAA B6P or K2P. They are Turkish clones of the very popular CZ-75's. Almost every review or comment on them online is very positive. Drawbacks are the only come with one mag and they aren't as easy to find as more popular brands, and there's little aftermarket support. For me though, if I just need to buy another mag and that's it (I don't plan on changing anything on it), hard to beat the value at that price.

cheap and semi-auto do not go together in my world. If I am going for a $300 or less handgun.. its going to be taurus revolver.

Get on Armslist or other local internet ads like Backpage, Craigslist, and other places.

Look for CZ, Glock, Keltec, Taurus, Ruger, Star BM, and many others.

Probably in a day or at least a week you'll find a half-dozen quality used handguns at $300.-400 I see them more often than I have money to spend on them.

I'd look for at least a 9mm or larger.

I understand the concept of small budget, but I'd strongly suggest adding $100 to your budget, because you'll get a much better gun, in better condition. In the last two years, I've picked up several excellent handguns in the $300-$400 range, and one or two in the sub-$300 range, but those are much harder to find.

Last edited:
Back