Indiana deer rifle

The most practical and effective solution to stay within your budget would be a Handi-Rifle in .44 mag.

But if you ever decide to go all out, the "top dawg" of "Indiana rules" hunting is the .358 WSSM wildcat. You get muzzle velocities that surpass the .358 win, while staying just under the case length limit. Just find a Winchester or Browning rifle chambered for either 223 wssm, 243 wssm, or .25 wssm, and have it rebarreled. Of course you would have to form your brass from one of the wssm cases, but that's no big deal if you're already reloading.

More info on the .358 wssm: http://cheapermalice.com/2011/11/358-wssm/

If you want a little more oumph....you could get a .500 smith handi rifle. Personally I hunt firearms season with my 24'' rossi 92 44mag. It more than does the job, so you should be pretty good with a 44 handi. My LGS sells them for $239.99 and the 500 s&w for $289.99 when they have them. Just dont scimp on the ammo. Buy several, and go with the one you (and the rifle ;) ) like best.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416101774.636338.jpg
44 mag handi did the job this opening morning. I took him at 200 yards trotting after a doe. First shot was alittle back, broke spine cut liver in two. Second shot double lung. Field dressed at 185, 11 point and I got him measured to get mounted. Biggest deer I have ever killed.

44 mag handi did the job this opening morning. I took him at 200 yards trotting after a doe. First shot was alittle back, broke spine cut liver in two. Second shot double lung. Field dressed at 185, 11 point and I got him measured to get mounted. Biggest deer I have ever killed.

Congratulations. You did real good!

Actually, if you look around on here http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2362.htm if you wait a year, potentially you will be able to use non-pistol caliber rifles too, as long as the caliber is a .243 or larger
Yesterday 08:38 PM

RangeEnthusiast

I've been watching that like a hungry red-tail on a field mouse :D My favorite rifle I own is my old jm 336. I love that rifle to death and I've never been able to hunt with it :( It's been a long time coming.

NCH
NICE! excellent shooting sir :cool:. I got a nice doe yesterday with my .44 mag. double lung through and through

Back