Incident at Mickey-D’s

markj,

Please tell me the make of your truck which totaled out a car but got only the license plate holder bent.

OR, where can I get a license plate holder like that?

Clay

Agree with Ricky, stay out of McD's. You should feel far more threatened by what they're serving than what anybody in the parking lot can do to you.

---

Let me summarize pax's comment for us those who can't memorize all the specific commands and distances:

1) Say "No thanks, pal." Replace with your choice words, as deemed necessary.

2) Yell "Shove off!" Combine with appropriate hand signals for your region/ethnicity.

3) If touched, yell "Go hug yourself!" (see above)

4) If that doesn't work, hopefully you have some knuckle game. Drop him and be on your way. If not, I guess you could use pepper or whatever else people like to carry these days but rarely if ever train with.

:p

Last edited:
Yes!

I was out in Baltimore at a little dive bar nearly 15 years ago with a college friend. Maybe 8 people in the place total. Her and I were near the door minding our business and a group of college-age boys came in, clearly they've been bar-crawling and were quite charged that evening.

They put some songs on the juke box that the locals didn't particularly like, and one of them (a late-30s female) made an off-color comment. Apparently she couldn't wait 2min30sec for the song to end. The energized young men started to puff their chests out and verbally engage with the local and her boyfriend.

After about a minute of shouting, the cook (a 6'2" 230lb bearded man, built like John Henry) came out through the swinging doors yielding a Louisville Slugger and yelled, "AY! I'm the only one who gets loud in here!!"

The place fell silent, the young chaps dropped $20 on the bar, downed their libations and hit the road! It was a spectacular show.

Please tell me the make of your truck which totaled out a car but got only the license plate holder bent.

Uh it was broke off the front of the truck, it is a 97 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 ext cab short box. Hit the car right at the rear wheel, he was going fast, I was just crossing the lanes, he bounced off and did several circles before he came to rest. Tore his bumper cover off, pushed the wheel in, car was not drivable after that.

I used a plastic tie to attach the plate to my grill so I am legal.

Was witness's too, not one would call 911? 2 folks stopped and asked if I was OK then left.

Still didnt think I needed a gun......

Simpler still: as they get closer, you get louder.

Yes, that tactic, as taught in John and Vicki Farnums' class, worked for me in downtown Reno, and kept an iniebriated individual from getting sprayed. Gun involved never crossed my mind, but it was the raised voice that stopped his aggression and saved him from a snout full of Mace Brand 10% gel.

While the unwanted attention from bystanders may be a factor in many cases, we were somewhat isolated, and witnesses would have been in short supply. It simply took the loud voice to get his attention so he noticed the pepper spray about to be unleashed. When he did, he still thought about it, and then, with hands raised, "I'm not looking fo any trouble".

As far as reasonable is concerned, I think we make that too complicated at times. What would a bunch of non gun owning, retired people who really aren't your peers, think? The jury. Reasonable will be by their definition and no other, and if they wouldn't have acted as you did, you're in trouble.

Just my thoughts on the matter.:cool:

Last edited:
Back