Inbetween shot lube or cleaner

Very true !!!

I have read not to run a dry patch down the bore because it will get stuck true or false ?
For the most part, this is true as many of "us" can attest to this. If there is any amount of residue in the bore, it can trap your patch. To date, I have had to remove two stuck rods because a dry patch was forced down a dirty bore. Prior to any shooting session/loading I run a patch slightly wetted with denatured alcohol. .. ;)

Be Safe !!!

I like 96% rubbing alcohol. Dries fast. However spit patches for cleaning do great if they aren't super spitty. Otherwise the spit can accumulate in the bottom of the bore and cause problems. The alcohol is flammable and dries far faster than spit so it helps to avoid that problem but still not good to use a ton.

Murphy's Law

I cannot think of any possible reason to run a dry patch down a fouled bore... except to talk about it later.
When we hold a "Muzzle loader's". Instructor's class. We have a section in our outline that is titled.
"What can possibly go Wrong" This is where Murphy's Law comes into play. This item is in the list but not at the top. Not only do we talk about it we also talk about the different ways of clearing them. ..... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

While target shooting...I'll swab between shots with a cotton flannel patch lightly soaked with Simple Green Solution --- Down the pipe once, then flip the patch an do it again. Maybe after twenty shots. I'll run a muzzleloader bore brush down it --- then a wet patch straight and inverted.

I used a dry patch because I didn't know any better. Now I know a new piece of wisdom I can pass on. Luckily I was able to get it out.

I will add something else I learned. TC Bore Butter is awesome. My Frontier had been stored in a leather sheath for several years with a swab of bore butter down the barrel. Every year I would pull it out, check the barrel and do another very light swab of butter.

After shooting about 40 patch and balls, the fouling seemed very minimal. I thought after 3-4-5 shots my spit patches would start pulling out black. It pulled out light yellow.

Question: If I go a few years without firing is it a good idea to put a lightly coated patch of bore butter down the barrel?

A time and place for most things.

If I go a few years without firing is it a good idea to put a lightly coated patch of bore butter down the barrel?
I like and have used Bore-Butter for many years and it does have a place in my supplies. However, for long term storage, there are better products and I would recommend them. Then just prior to shooting again, you can swab the bore as most are hydrocarbon based as opposed to a natural animal product.

Be Safe !!!

Black powder firearms are NO different than ANY other weapon as far as protection after cleaning.

Wipe it down inside and out w/ patch oiled w/ any 100% synthetic motor oil (I like Mobil-1 ;) )
(Stop.)

When ready to shoot again, just wipe it off/out with a dry patch -- like any other gun.
Load & fire.

The first time the NRA Championships held a BP matc,,

I took my T.C New Englander down to Camp Perry and fired as a "hunters category, shot four(?) matches and took third place.

I ran patches after the each match, to clean the barrel and nipple cleared.

Patches were ticking and T/c's wonder lube and #13 for wet patching.

Good luck the are no wrong ways, just what is quick & convenient.

If you do use a wet patch between shots, make sure you dry the bore with a dry patch or two. Drowning a part of the powder charge with a wet bore gives rise to really inconsistent velocities.

I have taken to cleaning the bore with a wet patch AFTER seating the ball on the powder. That way, I don't deactivate part of the powder charge with moisture. Usually, I ram the patched ball home and clean at the same time, ramming the ball with a cleaning patch on the jag. That keeps the bore clean enough for easy loading. I use a mixture of water and Murphy's Oil Soap for cleaning and OxYoke prelubed .18 pillow ticking patches with .350 roundballs in my .36 Green Mountain barrel in my TC Hawken rifle.
That was good enough to win me first place in the Open Offhand match last weekend at the TMLRA spring shoot.

.36 caliber, the best kept secret in muzzle loading.

Seems like we all have a favorite way of loading and cleaning. Most seem workable and while different from each other will achieve the same type of goals Shooting matches, I have developed a technique where I fire one fouling shot, and then load each successive one with a damp patch that pushes enough fouling down the bore to make the shots consistent. I use the old mix of Murphys/Windex to dampen the patches with a small spray bottle, and use the same mix to clean afterward.
I do swab the bore pretty good between legs of a match where the firearm will be sitting dirty for a while as people change targets, etc.., and then start the same old procedure over again for the next leg.
While a lot of us guys might do things differently, I think consistency is the major key to repeatable accuracy.

personally I carry a small bottle of Rubbing alcohol. No water needed. Just a few patches.
No heat required.

Been doing it almost 40 years now.

Or you can uses one of several waterless commercial cleaners

Back