"inapropriate" hunting weapons

Well I have killed a Big Hog in the woods at night with a Ruger Single Six .22 Magnum Revolver, It was a lucky one shot kill, If I had not shot when I did, I dont know how it would have turned out. I was Coon Hunting, but walked upon this hog in the brush.

Well since the inception of this thread I got a mental scene of somebody punching an antelope in the grill with a set of brass knuckles.

But in the spirit of the op, I have to throw .30 carbine as the serious submission.

Once, North of Grass Range, MT, I saw a white-haird & handlebar mustacioed man, with oversized cartridges stuffed in the loops of his safari shirt. He was fueling up one of the old Range Rovers with the hood mounted spare tire. When I commented that it seemed like overkill for antelope, he replied with an Austrian accent:

"Young man (I was 14) I hunt all over the world, and I hunt with one rifle."

He then showed me a BEAUTIFUL Mannlicher stocked rifle, in .375 H&H with double set triggers and detatchable scope mounts.

It left an impression. The whole "beware the man with one gun..." bit.

And thank you to those willing to stick to the origonal intent of this thread.

One season, I used my Sako Handy-Carbine in .375 H&H to thin out a couple dozen woodchucks in the neighbor's hay fields. Worked on a couple whitetails, also.

I guess I must be inapprpriate because I don't shoot my compound bow "all year long" In fact, I may go as long as 2 months in the middle of winter without shooting it at all. The rest of the year I might only shoot a couple times a week so every deer and turkey I kill must also be inappropriate............

DougU, I think he is talking more about people who bring it out a month before season and shoot it once or twice before they go out thinking it is a crossbow.

I do know a guy who sights his weapons on one day a week before season and that is it. He is in his 60s and spent a lot more time with them when he was younger. Once he shot a single shot with his muzzle loader at 125 yds, it was on target and he put it aside satisfied. He has hunted at least twice as long as I have been alive and no reports of him wounding anything that got away, so I can't judge. I know others who don't shoot well enough to be able to zero their shotguns at 45 yards with $50 worth of sabotted slugs.

No offense. I've just gutted alot of deer and found alot of broadheads in them... :eek: I shouldn't have made that all year. I should have said "shot enough to guarantee making a killing shot at the range the shot is taken".

I know one guy would pull his bow out the day before the season started, shoot a couple arrows and he was ready. One time he stumbled and tripped (not really) and shot a deer at 60 yards. Then he bragged about doing it when in fact he couldn't hit a paper plate at 10 yards consistently. That was my point.

The dumbest thing I've read in a hunting magazine was a guy that took an elk at 200 yards with a 243. The writer even stated that he thought it was a bad idea before he pulled the trigger.

300px-BB61_USS_Iowa_BB61_broadside_USN.jpg

The USS Iowa was the ultimate "varmit" gun!

Creek Henry, I certainly wouldn't choose my .243 for an elk gun. However, with a patient and basically-lazy elk at only 200 yards? The neck shot would be a gimme.

Boat paddle

I killed a sow a couple of years ago duck hunting with a load of Heavyshot to the neck from about 10-12 feet. Those shells aren't cheap so I dispatched the two piglets with her with a boat paddle. Heck of a thing hitting the landing with no ducks (real warm and slow that morning) but with three pigs on the bow and one shot fired.

Creek, I shot my elk this year with a .243, and she was at 200 yards! :D

Worked fine! The SKS on the antelope was the stangest gun I have seen used on game, but after some thought I don't think it was inapropriate.

I once used a .44 Mag S&W 629 on antelope. That might have been inapropriate because i couldn't hit anything! I'm not a good long distance pistol shot!

Actually, I didn't specify Savage or British, but I'd use either .303 on black bear.

In truth, most antelope hunts are as much a road hunt as anything. You can try to spot and stalk, but as often as not you bump into them just over a rise in the two track road, and they are standing at less than 200yards, or running broadside at 50yards, and for that a .30-30 or SKS will do just fine.

Inappropriate? Hmmm.
Colt Combat Commander in 45 ACP on a mulie? 5' is perfect range.
22LR on geese? Head shots only.
The red mist from a 22-250 on ground squirrels used to make my ex queasy.
Hmmm.
375 H&H on jackrabbits? Looks like science class.
30-30 in wild boar? No? How about right smack in the forehead from 15' away? Messy.
7X57 on bobcats? Really makes their eyes bug out if you hit them in the ear.
I think maybe the 8mm Rem Mag on a feral cat was inappropriate, but I'm not sure, couldn't find enough to check.

The .22-250 will fell even a big MT Mulie with one well placed shot, as long as you use make good ammo choices, and pass on bad shot angles. The .17Rem....I know it gets done, I even know a local who has killed several does, a mountain lion, a few bobcats, and many coyotes with one, but I can't quite get myself past the fact that my childhood pellet gun was a .17.

Back