in your opinion....

therookie

What's the best CQB weapon that someone in america could get?

so don't say an MP5 or Thompson or something like that.

Although I bet I could actually hit something with one of those....:p

Mike Tyson on a leash? Nudie pictures of Jesse Helms? :D

Depends on the user's training, purpose and comfort level.
SHTF: whatever's most handy
carry: whatever's legal and concealable
home defense: whatever's legal

Running around with a MallninjaConanHighlander9000XXXXL replica sword might look cool but if you don't know what you're doing, you're probably a bigger danger to yourself.

I have a 12-gauge for the house, because I'm competent with it.

No CCW in IL, no blades over (I believe) 3" limits what I can carry around. I have no skillz in knives or HTH, so I'm basically screwed for now...

This is a pretty open-ended question, but I'll give it a shot.

Disregarding legal questions other than Federal laws (which I think is what you intended), I'd recommend either a .45ACP or a 9mm semi-auto. Both of these will get the job done, which one you pick is personal preference. But both have several generic advantages, as follows (not in any particular order):

1. Easy availability of ammo

2. Presuming a decent weapon, parts/repair is straightforward, as both are as common as dirt, usually.

3. Without getting into a tribal thing, both have adequate lethality.

4. Both are capable of any level of accuracy that a given amount of practice can render.

5. Both are available in a wide range of weapons, to suit almost any preference regarding brand, or operating characteristic.

Lacking the ability to carry a gun, or a knife longer than 3", I'd learn stick-fighting, boxing, and running, plus acquire some conflict-avoidance training.

Friends. With a variety of shotguns, .223's and at least one .308

We did say CQB, not defense against a crackkie or gangbanger!

Shotgun (s) for firstline response.
.223's & .308 for additional support if needed.

The absolute best weapon anyone has is thier brain, use it.

Training, preperation, knowledge and alertness always helps.

IMO, legality has no place in personal defense. Police will come sponge up you and your families remains, but have no legal obligation to defend you...

I'd learn stick fighting, boxing, and running. Plus I'd aquire some conflict avoidance training.

Now THAT, is a survivor statement! Re-read that one for sure.

Ka-Bar? Masai Sword on a stick?

I'd be just as likely to skewer myself as the other guy.... :)

A bunch of friends with shotguns, ARs, and a .308 would make me feel either really safe or in a SWAT team van....

Addressing tools only; depends on situation. Lone homeowner with something going 'bump' in the night? Member of a tac team making an entry? system administrator paying a visit to someone who messed with a certain site? (:D ) For home defense, I keep both a Mossberg 500 and my usual carry Glock 30 in the bedroom. If I'm SURE I hear someone making entry, I'll use the shotgun to control the stairs leading up to the bedrooms, while wifey-poo is on the phone to the local guys in blue. If I just think I might have heard something, I can check it out with the Glock, not having to manuver the 12 gauge around the house.
However, I gotta agree with previous posts. Weapons come after training, mindset, situational awareness, etc.
Is this kinda thing what you meant?

What Sam said. Plus a concealed pistol of reasonable capability.

Knives/swords are effective weapons. But you've got to be as close to them as they are to you, in order to use one.

A pistol has both deterrent capability and stand-off capability.

Crunchy gravel, plants that stab, perimeter lights etc to arouse the occupant. Then the alert occupant has a little time to access the situation and bear the arms of choice and respond as appropriate.

Sam....12ga and .44 kinda nice for openers.

I'd say a Benelli M1Super90.

It's as close to a so-called 'assault' weapon as possible.

I like shotguns, because they don't have the same mount of restrictions as a handgun.

Transporting one in your car, there are a lot of gray areas in the law where regarding how you move it.

Sheer firepower, and cheap ammo ($2.15 for 5 rounds of 00 buck, $2.50 for 5 rounds of slugs).

Cheap practice (birdshot) ammo.

I like semi-autos because there's less I have to remember under stress.

Shotguns, while Benellis are evil looking, are more politically correct under the eyes of the law.

Versatile as hell.

Only downsides IMO is heavy recoil, high price ($1000 when all is said and done) and slow to load.

I hear some good arguments for an M4gery, but that's verboten here in CA.

Skunkabilly makes good points. A shotgun is extremely versatile. Birdshot is deadly it "same room" ranges, but does not over-penetrate beyond 20 yards or so. Buck is deadly out to 25 yards. Slugs are deadly out to 100 yards.

The Benelli is a wonderful shotgun. But a Remington, Winchester or Mossberg pump can be had for under $300.

What do 1100s and 1187s go for? THey're cheaper than Benellis and have more accessories available. Getting stuff from Benelli is iffy at best and a pain in the ass most of the time.

What gun is better is debatable, I guess it's what you're comfortable with.

I kind of am turned on by their pump shotty. More for macho chuck-chuck pump shotty factor than anyting else and its' a great cheap budget gun. I hear it's smooth as hell but I don't have any pump experience so I can't really say. I like semi-autos, less things to have to remember when la merde frappe le ventilateur.

Must agree with previous posts. Under 25 yds., tough to beat a shotgun. Rem 1187 (semi-auto) can be had for about $700, Rem 870 (pump) goes for about $300.

For home defense, go with the pump. More reliable, and you do get the added cha-CHUCK!! feature for free. If you're talking SWAT entry, room clearing, etc., then maybe the cost of the Benelli is justified. An MP5 sure would be nice, though.

If you're out on the streets, and some punk pulls a knife, your best CQB weapon is a pair of full-auto Nikes pointed the other way. If he pulls a gun...well, you feelin' lucky, kiddo?

Be safe.

My CQB weapon is a Benelli Nova. It has LPA ghost ring sights and a magazine extension (7+1) rounds. I am going to use it for gungames this season. I like the fact that select slug drills are easy: When you stroke the pump, all you do is push a button under the forearm and the magazine cuts off, throw slug in chamber and close. My other CQB weapon is a CZ-75 PCR. And my others are my tomahawk, short swords and various knives. My bladeware selection varies by the type of mood I'm in :)

Depends on rules of engagement and situation....

In a total free for all with no concern for surroundings whatsoever, a short 12GA pump with a bayonet would be tough to beat. In the real world, stick with a pistol that you handle well and are confident with. Attach a good light, and carry a blade of at least 4 inches for backup.

A can of starter fluid and a zippo should not be underestimated though.:)

Shotguns are ok for a one on one but

I'm partial to my Remington 7400 carbine for home defense. 18" bbl handles great in tight spaces and being a semi auto it holds on target great even though it's a 30:06, I don't perceive the recoil to be anywhere near as much as of a shotgun.

Overpenetration? Yup, you better believe it, along with huge wound cavitities and the ability to penetrate ballistic vests. Good thing is I don't have any neigbors in my fire lanes, bad thing for the BG's buddies and my poor ear drums though.

I'll give you the same answer I give to all my CCW students who ask what the best gun choice is for self-defense/concealed carry.

The most powerful handgun you can control (hit with quickly and well) that you will carry (daily).

The answer is different for every individual. Skill, training, attitude, size, background, experience, all come into making the decision.

At home a no-name short barrel shotgun. I have one in the bedroom (upstairs) and one in the office (downstairs).

I carry (depending on many things) Walther PPK (380ACP), Glock 36 (45ACP), Sig 232 (380ACP), Desert Eagle Baby Eagle Compact Polymer (9mm). About half the time a carry two of the above.

I have a diving knife in my car and one in the trunk, and an ugly aluminum bat in the trunk. (No, my wife is not in the trunk!)

If I can't go somewhere armed I don't go, period.

Back