in the perfect world, any responsible gun owner should choose to...

I'm for all of them, but with that being said...

1 and 2 are a given. If you aren't doing these then I think you need to brush up on them before I would consider you being a responsible gun owner. Marksmanship doesn't mean you need to be making one tattered 5 round group hole in the three different targets in 5 seconds... just be proficient enough to draw, fire, and consistently hit somewhere on a torso at 10ish yards under stress with a little bit of speed. Not an unrealistic standard. Gun laws are very important.

Sim rounds make good training... but I would not rank that as something that I deem necessary for the average CCW gun owner. If you are really serious about your training then by all means. However... I don't want to create realistic standards for the average gun owner.

As to the scenario training. I think this is important. If you wanted to you could actually do this with airsoft and some buddies who are serious about training for free. Are you going to glean what you would from a 500 dollar training course? No... but you could probably pick up a few things, especially if you have a buddy who is LEO or former LEO.

RANT ON: one of the biggest issues I have seen with some scenario based training is that many instructors turn it into one deadly force scenario after another. Most of the scenarios in some scenario based training classes result in discharging a firearm (or airsoft gun). I don't like that as it isn't quite as realistic. Good scenario based training will ensure that your gun stays holstered most of the time... if you unholster a gun in the training in a situation that would put you in hot legal water then you are counseled for it. After running through a number of training scenarios which are a little hairy but also in which the gun should NEVER LEAVE THE HOLSTER, then throw in a clear deadly force scenario. This way you condition someone to not automatically reach for the gun during the training. You're forced to think about it and respond appropriately. Going to scenario training that presents you with nothing but, or a majority of, deadly force scenarios is poor training, IMO: RANT OFF

Last edited:
I think putting #2 at the top would giver better results. When you learn how complex use of deadly force laws are you will either not buy a gun or definitely start training.

+1 to 5whiskeys rant...

I think you left out one important skill set needed.

Imagine you’re at a shooting range and the person next to you has an accidental discharge that hits you, your friend or a loved one. What would you do? The hospital is 30 – 45 minutes away and an ambulance will take 45 minutes to an hour to respond. If you were out hunting in a field somewhere it could take even longer. Do you know what you should do to increase the odds of survival for the injured person? If not, this course is your answer.

Emergency Treatment of Gunshot Wounds is a course for anyone who spends time around firearms, whether it be for hunting, recreational shooting or personal protection. Designed by an emergency room physician and taught by an EMT, this course teaches the lay person the skill set needed to effectively treat a person with a gunshot wound. In this hands on course you will learn how to access and evaluate gunshot wounds, how to minimize or stop bleeding, how to correct or maintain a compromised airway, how to properly prepare a wound for transport to a hospital and how to treat for shock and handle patient duress.

You will also learn the difference between a first aid kit and a gunshot trauma kit and how to use both. Additionally, you will learn how to assemble and use an inexpensive, pocket-sized gunshot trauma kit to keep in your range bag, hunting jacket or anytime you’re around firearms.

If you spend time around firearms for any reason, the information you will learn in this course could save your life or the life of someone you care about. Sign up today to learn this critical skill set.

Equipment Requirements

Comfortable clothing and footwear

A pair of pants that can be destroyed

A shirt that can be destroyed

EMT shears or rescue knife if you own them

Food/Beverages for personal consumption

Tuition: $199.99 Click here to Register Now

Jim

Back