In search of future 300-400 yard rifle.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

My wife NEVER knew how many guns I had or have...

Always smart enough to NEVER let her have a key or see inside...

All she ever knows or ever will is that I have THREE safes and I supposedly store more than guns in them (such as cameras)...

T.

Last edited:
TimW77,
That's funny. I only have one safe but my wife knows it's not enough. I think I have a 12-14 gun safe with 16 guns in it and several others in strategic places since they won't fit.

She doesn't have a key but knows if she wants to go shooting she just has to say the word. She also has 4 guns but only for target and clay shooting.

I have seen some really good looking Model 70 Winchesters, but they were all over $1000. The top wood was on the higher grades. Truly drool-worthy, but expensive. If I was looking for a rifle with beautiful wood, I'd be sniffing around Cooper, Sako, and the higher grades of the Model 70. And I'm sure all will be over $1000. And I'd look at Tikka and Ruger Hawkeyes at big stores with a lot of inventory, so I could look for a pretty one.

That's how I bought my Sako. Went to a big store, pulled out the checkbook and asked to see all their Sakos in 270. They grumbled, but they did as I asked, and I bought a beautiful one.

I'd like to add to my previous advice.

You know if you already have ONE Browning (the Citori shotgun) why not consider another Browning? A stainless X-Bolt hunter rifle comes with nice wood and a hunting friendly stainless finish. Bud's has them for $705.00 in 30-06 and $698.00 in 308 Win...

Other than not enjoying the recoil of a 30-06 in a sub 7 lb rifle, as long as it fits your shoulder and handles the way you like, it's not bad having two Browning firearms in the safe :D

Jimro

I will offter up the Savage BTH 111.

Boyd Thumb Hole, 22 inch barrel, comes in 30-06 amongst others.

Acu trigger for the normal person that is more than adeaua and can be tuned down more with a spring change on one part.

I like the BTH look.

BTH Stands for Boyd's Tactical Hunger. Laminated stock that is very nice. I got one in beautiful colors and compliments at the range.

If you are interesting in both target and longer range hunting, for about $125 in tools you can change barrels yourself. I now have two that I have done.

I recommend the NSS Savage Action Wrench as its setup specifically to do those.

Barrel is simply threaded in till it hits the no go gauge, tighten the nut and you are good to go (actually a tad tighter, i.e. hit the no go, pull the gauge and turn just a haird, idea is when nhut is tight that the bolt hallway closes.

Bazillion after market barrel Makers from ER Shaw that offer available calibers in various barrel profiles from light to Bull that are decent to Shilen, McGowan that offer more expensive and are button rifled , up toe Krieger and others that offer a cut rifled barrel.

note: Depending on caliber you may have to wait 2 months for a button rifled barrel (common ones are stocked) to 8 months of longer for a cut rifle as those are slower and very custom.

Savage will also do a custom, so you could get a BTH with a longer barrel, heavy hunger profile or a Savage Varmint profile which is quite heavy.

30-06 should be more than adequate for Elk. We shoot moose and brown bear with it (more so brown bear in the past but done often and probably 20 times as many taken with 06 as all others combined)

Visited a Cabela's over the weekend and they had a few guns on the list.

Tried the Model 70 and in general I liked it. The safety was easy and flipable with my thumb. All the triggers were locked up so i'm not sure how any of that felt but the bolts were nice and the only thing I didn't like was the narrow stock toward the end.

The Remington 700's weren't bad. I liked the stock fit and thickness, working the bolt handle was pretty good but the safety had a real positive click when taking it off. In hunting terms it was probably similar to using an air horn while hunting. Maybe there's a way to make that less snappy. All in all I liked it.

There were a few Tika's, Vanguards, Savage's and others that fit the bill but I didn't take great note over them. I'll visit a few more gun shops next week where I can try more.

Oddly enough There was a Mossberg Patriot at Walmart and although I didn't like the camo stock the bolt and feel of the stock felt good.

At this rate i'm going to need a rifle that screams Pick me, Pick Me.

I ask my wife what she would pick and she came back with a 303 Savage 99.

That Mossberg Patriot may be a good choice. My son has the 30-06 version with camo stock. It's a very good rifle and you could replace the stock with wood and still not have a huge investment.

If you can afford a Winchester model 70, that is a good way to go.

The Featherweight stock is kind of thin up front, and the Featherweight barrel is only 22" in most cases. If you do not specifically need a lightweight rifle, then the Featherweight is not really the best choice.

If you look at the model 70 Sporter though, you'll find that the stock is much nicer, and the barrel will tend to be two inches longer than the Featherweight. The Sporter is the "rifleman's rifle" of the Winchester line.

A lot of people look at the Winchester model 70, wind up getting something else - and then wish in the back of their mind that they had got the model 70, sometimes for years and years.

You're right I think all models of the new/used model 70's I handled were all featherweight. Wouldn't might getting a hold of the Alaskan model.

Big fan of the M70 featherweight here. I've got an older one in 30-06 and a push feed one from the 80's in 7mm Mauser. They're both great rifles and a joy to carry.

They're don't make the best range plinking rifles. The recoil isn't by any means savage, but it's noticeably stiffer than a standard sporter weight rifle.

I was just on a 9 day trip from Milwaukee to the Smokie Mountains and back. In the process I fondled a lot of rifles. In the end I came back with 3 types I liked the Most.
1. Winchester Model 70
2. Remington 700 BDL and CDL
3. Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe.

I have a feeling one of these will be the winner. A side from the Vanguard being new and all feeling the same the Winchester and Remingtons depended all on the stock some felt fine and some were no go. I found one Model 70 that was in 243 that felt like perfection. I'm almost glad it wasn't 30-06 or 308 because that Tennessee 17% tax would have sucks. I'm going to continue to play with rifles until I obviously buy something next year so continue with all recommendations.

A runner up was the Mossberg Patriot in Walnut that felt pretty good but I need more hands on time but the price was very budget concise.

If you are after looks and minute of deer, the newer Winchesters have some nice wood compared to most. If you are after better accuracy then a Savage 110 and have a custom stock made...less than a grand a great rifle. I trued up a couple of Winchester to make them actually accurate, won't make that mistake again. Now if you find an old Winchester, that mugjt be a different story, but the newer ones arent very good without some work in the accuracy department ...at least the 2 in have had.

Being NJ doesn't have the ranges like other areas, I just moved into a similar rifle for myself. Was at my FFL, picking up an AR lower, and kept noticing a bolt action rifle sitting in his safe. Looked like a Remington 700, but when I asked, it was a Model 7. Just a little more compact.

It was a used gun, early 1990s (camo Kevlar stock), with a Leupold VARI-X IIc (2-7x) from the same time period. For the price (he came a few hundred off the sticker, since I am a regular/friend), I really couldn't walk away from it. Taking it home, it was likely used, but not a lot or abused. With the exception of a small mark under the mount, gun cleaned up to probably close to what it looked like when it left Remington.

Wanted a little more magnification, so I pulled the scope (I have a Ruger Deerstalker .44 Carbine with a 4x scope that might get the Leupold), which I busted screws on the rings and the mount. Got it all off without any damage to the scope or rifle. Ordering a new Picatinny mount, and will compare my scope options and decide within the next few months. I'm likely going to do a minimum of 3-9x, but want MOA adjustment and preferably a reticule. From seeing what a 23 year old Leupold looked like, I may have their custom shop build me one.

Definitely look at used, as you can find some great deals sitting on the shelves. Obviously be careful of some homeschooled gunsmith projects, but you can save some coin going that route.

I'm definitely looking for some good wood or laminate wrapped around a great shooter. Yeah everything can be thrown in a good boyd stock custom made to my liking but it would be nice not to have to build/swap parts right out of the store.

On the other hand if I saw a good used project I would jump on it.

I did get a laugh earlier in the week when I stopped into the local gander mountain. I looked at the used section and there were two Remington 700's sitting there. I though these don't look that bad. Then I notice rust on the receiver where the scope mounts would go so no big deal. The other had rust at the inside last inch of the barrel. Both had those gooey remington recoil pads the turn to mush in your gun safe. Then I flip the guns over to look at the tag. They were brand new with $899 on the tag. Now that's a big no go.

I just took 5 rifles I built off on a hunting trip to sight them in and shoot antelope and deer for a month. Others brought 3 other rifles to the log cabin for me to work on.

Some guy bought a Rem 700 25-06 thumbhole to me that the bolt could not be removed from the rifle without removing the barrelled action from the stock. The stock could not be removed without removing a trigger shoe. The trigger shoe required a very small Allen wrench and drift punch. As near as I could tell, the gunsmith slammed this thing together and then varnished it. There was no bolt release. That had been lost. I relieved the stock where it did not fit. The rifle looked good. I cleaned it and sighted it in.

The other two rifles brought to me were 30-06s that each required 3 hard tries to get the Copper out. This was major Copper fouling. I then sighted them in.

I wish people would think about their rifles BEFORE hunting season.

I have a Winchester M70-308......but for pure eye candy....I am looking for a CZ550FS....in 30/06..or 308....my CZ527FS..223....has spoiled me with its single set trigger.....smooth as glass mauser action....and its little brother CZ452FS...22lr...

Back