Improving at the IDPA classifier

Which glock do you shoot? i advise a 9mm in any gun if you want to do YOUR best, the 40 is really overpowered for SSP division.

these "1.5 draws stink" guys.. don't listen, yes, you can improve, but that is a perfectly respectable draw time. your splits should be around/under.3 transitions no more than .5

the first thing is to relax as much as possible. be smooth. strings 1-3 are simple, should be about 2.4 seconds or so for a person in lower expert class.

DON'T drop head shots.

you have 2 turns i believe, turn your head first/at the same time, rotate on your strong side heal, put your strong side foot towards target, this makes one foot pivot, and step across with the other. idealy you want to be indexed on the second(middle) target.

Stage one, 1-3 points down, no more if you have more slow down. some stages in IDPA are stages where you can gain a LOT of time, but not close up stages, see, a master can shoot string 1 in about 1.9 seconds but if you try that and drop one point your up to 2.4 ( normal master, not a tip top nationals winning master) so your risk of going fast is much greater than your chance of gaining.

stage 2.. don't run to the targets, its a rookie mistake. be FAST on the draw, hand to gun as your first step comes up. shoot it clean move smooth ( you will get the walk down). don't miss maybe 7-8 points down acceptable if your aiming for lower expert range.

Stage 3... oh ****.... thats what comes to mind, remember this is 20 yards... further than you usually practice, its longer than your entire house in most cases.

1. do NOT crowd the baricade, if you can touch it your too close! no quick shots here, make sure they hit, your -1's are now -3 or near misses half of your -0 hits are -1's now. Trigger control is the hard part here, even more than sight allignment. dont' milk the gun or jerk the trigger.

As for the tac/retention reload. pick ONE and stick with it, of course Tactical is more sound in "real life" when you run to the barrel, give your self plenty of room, same when you drop behing, it, and adjust your position so you don't hav eto move your footing to shoot the far target. (its usually easiest to pie a corner to the strong side. remember its still 15 yards.

overall comments. dont' rush yoru self, but don't dwaddle. i see more people ( myself included) have the last string in equal to strings 1 and 2 combined. Plan your actions, think exactly what you will do before you do it. also called visualizing which helps, visualize yourself doing well, it is bad mojo to visualize gun problems, or points down.! if you tank a string, don't dwell on it, move on.

Yes you can drop your draw times, but i have seen that reload times tend to need moe work, you need good gear, what are you drawing out of, reloading out of.

Happy Shooting

I asked Ernest Langdon (3x national champ) once what his best overall classifier time was and he told me 68 seconds! beat that.

I will just give me time and ammo :-)

think he has done better than that since, i spoke with him and scott warren, they said, mid to low 60's happens rather often, mid to high 60's normal days, and low 70's bad days.

Back