I'm too young to be a dinosaur!!!!!!!

Tim Whittaker

Being at the age of 24, I have to ask, I regularly carry one of my 2 S&W 686's, every time I go to the range I get asked, Why do you choose to carry a revolver? Did I miss something? I feel just as protected with my revolvers as I do with any of my autos. In my 6 years I have tried (and dumped) many a handgun and feel that a revolver is plenty (not better or worse) of insurance. Please understand, that this isn't a Semi vs. Revolver war but an honest question. Am I a dinosaur? Take Care.........Whit

Dinosaur ? No Sir, you at a tender age are already demonstrating astuteness and perception worthy of one many years your senior. I have carried autoloaders and wheels for over 50 years. Shootin em a lot longer than that. In the instances where the powers dictated that I carry an autoloader, I carried a wheel as a dependable back up.

I am passably good with both types, in fact I am of the school that believes if the sights are close, it matters not what the platform looks like. As long as it doesn't fail to function. I carry wheels for defence because I have more confidence in their ability to continue to function after the first shot. Can't limp wrist a revolver. Yes, either can fail.

Sam.......earned Dinosaur.

You're merely wise beyond your years. There is absolutely nothing wrong with toting a revolver, I do so myself. In the last year or so, I have come to the realization that I do not need a 15-round magazine to feel well armed, and my handgun collection has slowly shifted towards revolvers. Now I have seven wheelguns and two autoloaders, and the gun I tote most often is my Smith Model 19 4". A hairy situation a few months back opened my eyes to the simplicity and reliability of the wheelgun, and I've been phasing out all but my very best autopistols.

You'll find that the commando kids don't know or don't appreciate revolvers, but everybody who knows a thing or two about handguns will not deride your sidearm choice, but give you an approving nod instead.

[deep voice mode on]

Obi-wan has taught you well, young revolver toter...

[deep voice mode off]

Even thought I have, and do, carry a semi-automatic, I still consider myself to be a revolver person at heart, and I feel most comfortable when I'm carrying a revolver.

My now nearly constant companion is my Smith & Wesson Model 042 lightweight.

Thank you all for the kind words and your comments. I realized that with alot of work, providing I do my part, the first couple rounds should do theirs. The other 3 or 4 are just peace of mind. Thanks again and take care.......Whit

No, not a dinosaur. You may, however, find yourself developing a complete lack of sympathy for people who whine about double-action triggers.

(Yes, it's my pet peeve and it's getting worse instead of better these days. :) )

Power and reliability are unmatched in a wheelgun. That's not being ancient, just wise.

Wow..........I was expectin we'd be overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of Wilson, Kimber, Browning, Jennings, Bauer, Glock etc aficianados coming to leap on the poor uninformed youth.

Sam

Sam -
I do have a Glock 27 in my front pocket right now, but some nights, I wish it was a 357 Magnum.

Sam, I think those folks stay out of here, leaving the ancient to their benighted ideas. Or so they imagine.

I shall check in at this point: I'm 22, and I went through the whole Auto Superiority phase. At length I realized that there are pros and cons to each. No longer would I hide my love of wheelguns old and new.

Maby like AMA life membership.....Dinosaurism can be earned OR bought. Lookin at Dinosaur's profile, that one could go either way. I have always liked wheels for .22 and centerfire, 1911s for big bore. My brand new 1957 Gold Cup National Match cured me of that. Ten dollar pawnshop Model 1917 would have been a far wiser purchase. That said, I have owned well over a dozen manufacturers autoloaders and have enjoyed all of them, kinda like raisin retarded warthogs, some good in nearly anything.

Sam.....tween knaps.

The great thing about living in a quasi-free country is that you get your choice (for now) and then can argue about your selection like you know what you are talking about.

I wish I knew where there's a pawnshop with $10 M1917's!!!
:)
I just got one for $400, unfired, military config.
Not quite as good a deal as $10, but better than the $600 or so it blue books out at.

Hey, if Whit, at 24 is a dinosaur, I must be one too.
I'm 25, have more guns in the safe than years under my belt, and I have only three semi-auto's.
A Jennings J-22, a S&W M61, and a FrankenColt 1911A1.

That Jennings was my first handgun, that's the only reason it's still around!
So, all my other handguns are revolvers, and they are all S&W.

-Kframe, curmudgeon apprentice

>>You'll find that the commando kids don't know or don't
>>appreciate revolvers, but everybody who knows a thing or two
>>about handguns will not deride your sidearm choice, but give
>>you an approving nod instead.

Amen

justinr1

Lendsringer, I could've written those

very words myself. :eek:

I'm glad to see that there are a couple of other young men that haven't been sucked into the semi-auto black hole. Why just today, I stumbled upon a cherry 6" M-28 Highway Patrolman that just moved up to top-billing as my next handgun purchase.(It bumped the 657 down to #2.) With the way things are headed, it pays to concentrate your efforts on the used Smith revolvers NOW. There will always be lots of 'modern' wonder-pistols to be found, both new and used. But, the world's finest revos won't be around forever.:(

The best testament to your choice of the L-frames is to outshoot all your friends!;)

Back