I'm thinking of a 9mm, best financial investment is...

I prefer to carry a 4 inch K frame Revolver in the woods.

Either a .38 spl model 64 or, if I'm in black bear/cougar country, a .357 model 66

Either one will take care of the 2 legged varmints that pose the greatest threat, and make head shots on squirrels, rabbits, and cans

If by “investment” you mean maintain value AND you’ll carry and shoot the handgun, but a used Glock 19. Bought at a decent used price, you can shoot the snot out of it and sell it for between 66% to 100% of the purchase price. And - as you say - practically everyone likes a Glock. I’ve bought and sold a few Glocks and they sell quickly. The stock Glock trigger - meh.

If by “investment” you mean appreciate in value, in my thoughts (& free advice is worth every penny you pay for it) that means a metal framed “classic” like Sig P226 or P229, High Power, CZ75B. They won’t be as light as polymer frames, and I doubt they’ll rise in value much. If it were me, again I’d buy a used one at the best deal I could find. Being discontinued, and as mentioned above, I’d guess that the High Power may appreciate in value over time and it has a SA trigger. New Cz75’s and P226’s are still being made.

Last edited:
A new BHP would be a great investment if you could get one anywhere close to MSRP, but the problem is that the short-term gains have already been made -- the time to buy one was a year ago or more. There are a LOT of these things out there in used condition. In the long term the price of a used one may rise, but you're playing the game of buying high and hoping to sell sky high -- sometimes that works, and sometimes not.

No BNIB commercial hand gun will ever be a good investment.
Except maybe a BHP though. But only if you leave it sealed in the original box with all the paperwork. FN discontinued 'em in 2018. Older used BHP's are running a grand or more on the auction sites.
This one, however, is already worth more than this guy''s asking price. Keep in mind the sights are crappy and it's a real collector piece you really shouldn't be shooting.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...er-9mm-semi-auto-pistol-.cfm?gun_id=101397779
MSRP on a Gold Cup Trophy is $1699.00USD. It'd take eons for one to gain in value. A Match grade 9mm is a waste of time and money anyway. There are no 9mm Match bullets.
Whoever 'chromed' (or whatever that finish is) that P-38 also destroyed any collector value. A war time vintage P38 in good or better condition is worth $850 and up, but not with the chrome.
"...I don't really like Glocks..." Don't buy stuff you just don't like. For any reason.
"...with Sten Gun Ammo..." There's no such thing. 9mm NATO Ball ammo is considered to be +P though.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and recommend an HK USP compact 9mm.

They are expensive new, see if you can find a decent deal online for a used one. If you get a good enough price it is likely it won’t depreciate much if at all.

They have good triggers, are accurate, hold their value well enough, lighter than all steel guns, and are similar in size to a glock 19. It’s a double/single action gun with a cocked and locked option.

Or. . . Just get a glock 19.

I think most people would enjoy shooting the HK over the Glock, just because of the feel.

I just wanted to recommend something different.

An M&P 2.0 compact would be a good one too. They have surprisingly nice triggers and are good reliable guns with a good feel and good price.

I’m having a hard time thinking of a light weight 9mm that would be a good financial investment.

I could definitely get on board with the prelock S&W idea!
As mentioned in a previous post, a nice P38 would be a good investment, but it’s not going to be as light as any of the three I mentioned.

Last edited:
“Investment”- I’m not looking to make a profit, just have something that will be easy to sell at a good price in 10 years or trade for something else equally interesting. My family shoots guns, so if it’s in the safe, it gets shot.

I’ve owned about a dozen Ruger single actions over the years and finally settled on two. The others more than kept up with inflation. That’s the right way to do it.

The wrong way is to buy a ruger 10/22 and get custom barrels and stocks and trigger jobs before Rimfire Central was around to help, then sell off the project in frustration. No matter how much fussing you put in, it’s still just someone else’s project gun to someone else. But I learned. Last year I built up another 10/22 and this time knew a lot more about what I was doing and this outshoots my last attempt by inches and I’ll get my money back next squirrel season if I wanted to sell. (I don’t, shouldn’t everyone have a 10/2z?)

Well, you can buy someone else’s project gun, the one they can’t make run, and buy it from them when they throw up their hands in frustration. Tear the gun down and back to stock and sell all their do dads on EBay. Win.

Suggestions have been real good, thanks. Keep em coming. I’m making a list and educating myself.

If you want to be $$ ahead, look at military surplus 9mm. I believe there is a Cuban boat load of Beretta 92's out there. Italian police/military trade in's are cheap and plentiful. Holster wear but barely shot.

Saying that, go for a CZ PCR, or an SP-01 if you want to put a light on it. Wonderful handguns.

I would think things like the SIG X-5s, P210s, etc. might be a good bet. No trigger, reliability or accuracy work needed. The X-5s, and SWISS and German 210s seem to already have appreciated. And perhaps in 10 years or so, after SIG has discontinued it, one might at least recover most of his investment in an American 210. The HK P7 series has really appreciated, as as the FN/Browning HI Power in the relatively short time since production ceased. People routinely complain about the heavy trigger of the Hi Powers though. The earlier, out of production, S&W Performance Center Pistols have appreciated, sometimes to mind boggling levels.

On second thought, disregard all of the above. I own some of the guns I mentioned, so given my investment history, their value will undoubtedly drop to rock bottom within 10 years;)

Lots of 2nd & 3rd Gen Smith Police Trade-ins out there right now. Good near indestructible guns at reasonable prices.

I think a Glock g19 or g48, a S&W M&P, Beretta or Taurus 92, CZ or TriStar/Canik of similar size....all are going to, at the very least, hold their value and perform well for you. Hitting cans at 25 yards is on you.:)

Just to be odd man out, a like new in the box, Smith and Wesson Model 39 or 59. You can still get them for around $600 or less, and I feel they are due to appreciate in the near future.

I’m not looking to make a profit, just have something that will be easy to sell at a good price in 10 years or trade for something else equally interesting.
Well, that's your first problem right there!:D

Now, disregarding the "investment" criteria another option for what seems to be your ever changing taste. The Sig P320. Which comes in sizes from sub-compact to full size. With a couple stops inbetween. My own carry gun is the Sig P320 Carry. An hybrid of the compact (G19 size) slide and barrel with the full size (17+1 capacity) frame.
But the interesting part for your ever changing tastes, the "gun", the serial numbered part, is the fire control modual. So you go through the 4473, NICS background check, and what ever other red tape one time. Then add grip frames, barrels, sliding s, and magazines when ever you want to change from a full sized range blaster to a compact carry gun to a sub-compact deep er concealment piece.
As aside, and addressing another concern you mentioned, the trigger is pretty sweet right out of the box.

I would recommend finding a good deal on a slightly used Glock gen5. The G19 is a good fit for many but I personally prefer the longer grip of the G17 or G45.

I picked up my last one for $450 with night sights and four mags. I see them for sale often around here.

A Glock trigger is not great but not bad. I haven't ever had a problem with stock triggers on them or the M&Ps. YMMV.

Most things current production aren’t going to appreciate unless they go out of production. By production I don’t include smaller batch custom firearms. I know a few have mentioned the second and third Gen S&W pistols. Idk. I owned a few over the past 9 years and the prices now don’t seem that different. S&W also stopped officially supporting them so parts are getting a bit harder to find. They’re very robust so it likely won’t be a problem, but for a pistol I intend to shoot a lot that is a bit of a negative for me personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back