I'm stumped??

You sure your rifle still groups the 120s? The POI shifts you describe are the classic symptoms of a bedding issue or improperly torqued action bolts.

You guys are doing it wrong.
Go to Accurate Shooter (www.accurateshooter.com) and search for Savage action screw tuning.

Essentially front bolt gets torqued to 30 inlb. Rear to 15inlb.
Shoot a group.
Increase rear torque by 5inlb. Shoot group.
Do this till rear torque is 30inlb.

You will see the groups shrink & open.

Let the gun tell you what it likes.

IF you did your load development right, you'll see groups go from 2+" to 0.5" or better.

I have one rifle that likes 15inlb on the rear screw, my others like it a little higher.

Last edited:
Std7mag :

Interesting but that is someone’s theory and not Savages recommend practice . I spoke with them because a Savage was the rifle that was shooting those double groups . They did not recommend any adjusting and simply said 40lbs on each screw . That said I like your method and did similar. When I did my torque test I tried multiple configuration and methods . I agree start low-ish and only tighten in increments. I did not like loosening the retighten to new spec .

Std7mag :

Interesting but that is someone’s theory and not Savages recommend practice . I spoke with them because a Savage was the rifle that was shooting those double groups . They did not recommend any adjusting and simply said 40lbs on each screw . That said I like your method and did similar. When I did my torque test I tried multiple configuration and methods . I agree start low-ish and only tighten in increments. I did not like loosening the retighten to new spec .
That is how team Savage tines their rifles. It's a bit more than "someone's theory".

I used the following load in a Remington Model 7 rifle, Remington cases, and Federal 210 primers. The brass was full length sized and the powder was 40.0 grains of IMR 4064. COAL was 2.775 inches. I had a 1 shot group at 0.76 inches and all the five shot groups were under 1 inch. This load can probably be improved. It was developed before I understood measuring the distance to the lands, seating depth, and bumping the shoulder back 0.002-0.003 inches. Winchester primers and Nosler 140 grain bullets also worked just as well.

Sorry it took a wile for me to update the results, I suffered a knee injury at work a couple weeks ago and was not able to walk for a while.

I followed Std7mags advice and ended up with 30 inch pounds up front and 25 inch pounds on the rear screw when it pulled the groups together in a beautiful little cloverleaf group. I ran 5, 5 shot groups letting the barrel cool completely between groups and ended up with the smallest group being .53 and the largest being .87 inches. The average size of these 5 groups was .68".

I wish to thank all involved in trying to resolve this issue and I definitely learned something new.

Awesome ;-) , glad to hear it worked out. There’s a lot of shooters that don’t think action screw torque matters but it does . Make sure you clean the screws with a degreaser then use some blue loctite on them to keep um put

Riverrat,

Glad things worked out for you!

Bear in mind, i have 5 Savage rifles and all like a different torque setting.
I clean the screws as MetalGod suggests, but i don't use Loctite on my action screws.

I have one set at 15inlb & have never had an issue.

If you do use Loctite, i suggest #222. The purple low strength.
Blue 242 works in a pinch, but is harder to unscrew should you need to.
I also use 222 on scope bases & rings.

In 30 years as a gunsmith, every time a rifle shot two groups it was due to loose scope ring or base screws. Every time.

Did you watch his Video??? He doesn’t jam his bullets he finds the Jam then backs off .02 off that then starts adjusting his seating depth .003 until he finds two consistent nodes.

The OP hasnt found the right barrel harmonics for his load. His ES/SD look good but barrel harmonics are off
A given barrel has the same harmonics (vibration frequencies) across all loads because its shape is the same for all of them.

Different loads make bullets leave at different bore angles to the line of sight.

Ideally, slower bullets should leave at higher angles than faster ones.

Last edited:
In THIS instance it would appear to be action screw torque.

and in my case as well . I went through every possible issue two or three times including scope , rings , parallax etc . It was only after posing the problem here or another form did someone suggest it was an action screw problem . Which instantly fixed the problem .

Back