I'm so angry at S&W, are there firearm lemon laws?

DirtyHarold

Hello ladies and gents, I'll try and keep this short...

Back in February I bought a S&W 460 Mag 7.5" Performance Center revolver, and right off the bat I had to send it in to have the barrel replaced because the finish on it was uneven, there were tool marks and dents on it, was not at all up to par for an $1,800 gun. They replaced it and I was happy, for the time being.

I finally get a chance to take it out and shoot it and within 15 rds it had 3 failures to fire because the action would not rotate the cylinder, and also I had to pry out the spent casings with pliers (factory Hornady 460 mag ammo). Now I'm pretty angry, because how did this gun even make it past their quality check? So I send it back and wait another 8 weeks to get it back. They ended up replacing literally everything but the frame, including the barrel when they JUST put a new one on it.

Once I had a chance to shoot it again, and at least in 10 rounds of 460 it seemed to work (didn't have time to shoot a bunch), but then I go to clean it and realize that something is still off. First of all, when I pass a brass brush through the barrel it sounds like zipping a zipper. Also, its impossible to get all the fouling out of it. Upon closer inspection, there are these deep radial marks along the entire length of the barrel. See pic in post below.

I don't want to to send it in and wait another 8 weeks for them to "fix" it again and send it back. I would rather them send me a new one so I can just be over this, or do a buyback, if thats even a thing that they can do.

I am so incredibly angry that this is what I have to go through for buying this gun. This is the most expensive gun S&W offers and its their PC line which is supposed to be the cream of the crop. Can anyone give me advice of legal action I may be able to take or point me to where I can get legal advice?

Thanks for listening.

7c3d99feaed91ccf59c4962cbc846f89.jpg

Pictures of the barrel. It’s like this down all 7.5 inches of rifling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the S&W barrels were rifled using a EDM process.
The inside should have a matt finish, but not what your picture shows.
Call them back, they will make it right.

I would send S&W an email and send them the picture you posted and let them fix the gun right. I also would express your dissatisfaction with their product and see what they can do for you. I do agree that the gun they sent back should of been perfect after your first problem you had.

I had a boat replaced, but I did all my communicating with them FIRST. When I didn't get the proper response, I posted my letter to them on their Facebook page. My boat was replaced in two weeks. The Marketing folks always respond to complaints more aggressively than Customer Service.

Shoot it,if it groups good than so what. If it groups poor send it back. My 500 has around 1000 rounds- never guessed to look at the lands.shoots better than i can,and im a good shot!

Wait. Can you explain how there are reamer marks on both the lands and the grooves, especially considering that smith has started using an electrochemical rifling process on most of their barrels, including those for revolvers?

Those grooves should never show drill or reamer marks. It's not possible. Even button rifling would iron it out some.

"...the most expensive gun S&W offers..." Just proves that you don't always get what you pay for. "Performance Center" apparently has nothing to do with having QC.
It doesn't appear that Smith's Performance Center has any different warrantee than any other Smith product.
"...firearm lemon laws?..." That'd depend on your State.
"...groups good...groups poor..." With what ammo fired by whom?

Damn, that's messed up. I can't get over the barrel's innards. I have NEVER seen a barrel cut like that. It looks like someone tried to tap the barrel!

Contact S&W again, but this time via USPS. Spend $20 and express mail it. Include photos and a detailed description.

That bore looks ribbed for the bullet's pleasure.

You had the case issue months ago where they were all scratched, now they're sending you a "fixed" gun with a bore looking like that... I wouldn't even bother giving them another chance to not fix it right. Tell them you don't believe they can fix it and want a refund.

Write a letter to the company executives, when on the phone demand that you speak with them.

Gonna tell you I'm normally the guy who goes "OMG you guys are whiny and cannot expect perfection" when I see these types of posts. That being said those photos show a situation that merits some type of explanation and truth be told even as you articulated it it took the pictures to really grab my attention.

I think others are right. Time to send the pictures in or use some medium that allows you to convey them. What you have there is shameful. I'm also a believer in "give them a chance to make it right" (despite the fact you did) and if I was looking at that would be totally on board with "whatever it took" to make it right with the customer. That is frankly unacceptable that it left that way.

THREE times to get it right and failed??
I would expect Smith and Wesson to bend over backwards to compensate the customer for the agony.
In other words, not just fix the problem, but extend a further gesture of compensation!

I'm so angry at S&W, are there firearm lemon laws?

My big thing is I don’t want to wait another 8 weeks. They probably won’t even expedite, I asked them to last time and nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back