I'm now a believer in standard velocity .22 ammo.

Just don't seem to have any locally.

That's the story of my life it seems. Whenever I settle on a particular favorite flavor of .22 ammo- about a month later is when it dries up and can't be found locally. I used to be able to get Wolf Target, SK pistol, and Geco locally, but the distributors must've found out I like it and now they won't ship it anywhere within 250 miles of me.:(

My 1885 Winchester (Miroku) single shot can shoot one hole groups at 50 yards using Wolf MT ammo and CCI SV is nearly as accurate. Also, I enjoy the quietness of SV ammo.

In addition to less wind drift, most SV target ammo is just plain higher quality than your typical bulk ammo. At 25 yards, most HV ammo is still supersonic and accuracy mostly reflects the quality of the ammo.
For hunting, the flatter trajectory of high quality HV ammo probably means more than the slightly lower wind drift of SV ammo, because your target isn't always EXACTLY fifty yards away.

Good morning everyone. I'm a long time shooter but a brand new member here.

I've been a standard velocity 22 rimfire lover for years. CCI SV is great as was Remington sub-sonic but I haven't been able to find any of it for the last five years.

I've found it cycles both my modified 10/22's and my MK III and IV pistols reliably. SV is what I shoot when shooting groups for accuracy usually. Once in a while I'll shoot some of the higher end ammo but not often as I know what each gun is capable of. Plinking for fun and the grand kids get the cheapest stuff I can find. As the kids become a little more capable they will "graduate" to the SV.

Welcome aboard Doubleh!

I was hung up on buying the lower tier match stuff for quite a while even though I haven't done the Bullseye league for about 6yrs now. I've done some of the Running Target (Running Boar) with rimfire rifle and pistol, but I'm afraid those days are gone too. Just the other day, I ordered a 5k case of regular CCI SV lead round nose stuff for regular plinking. I'm not even real sure how well that stuff will behave and group through my rifles, pistols, and revolver, but at least I'll fell better about not spending $8 - $10 per box of 50 for poking paper and cans.

Tell you what, 10-96, I own a fair pile of 22 rimfires and CCI-SV groups better than any hi-velocity ammo in every one of them. SK Standard Plus beats CCI-SV but for more money.

Yeah, I hear ya. I don't think I've even bought any HV stuff since the early or mid 90's. If I feel the need for more giddy-up, I'll probably switch to the .17HMR CZ 455. It's such a sweet little rifle, but for most things, it's darn hard to beat a good simple .22LR for afternoon fun.

SK Standard Plus beats CCI-SV but for more money.

FYI, Wolf Match Target (Wolf MT) is relabeled SK Standard Plus. I haven't seen Wolf MT for sale again since the great .22 rimfire shortage but I have seen SK Standard Plus for sale since then.

I have only shot a small amount of standard velocity ammo and not enough to have any hard core opinions on it but have no complaints about the High Speed Federal ammo I have so much of.

My Ruger 77/22 will put 10 rounds into a half inch at 50 yards and do it over and over. And those are 10 round groups too.

I made a target with 1" squares all over it and that little Ruger would keep all 10 rounds inside of the 1" square with square left over. And that was with Federal blue box ammo from WM in the 550 count boxes. Frankly it surprised me. My gun was made around 1986 IIRC and has the factory open sights. But I have a straight tube Bushnell 4x on it. I can't shoot that well with basic open sights.

But that same ammo will without trying too hard give 1.5" groups from my 10/22s with scope sights at 50 yards. Your 3-4" groups with other than standard ammo surprise me.

One thing I know for certain. Dirty guns with fouled bores don't shoot well at all. Some will say never clean a 22 but I clean mine after each use. Especially after shooting plated ammo. The all lead stuff may not foul as quickly but the plating on the bullets gets built up at the front of the barrel just ahead of the chamber and needs to be brushed out. With a real cleaning brush. NOT a bore snake.

Last edited:
"FYI, Wolf Match Target (Wolf MT) is relabeled SK Standard Plus. I haven't seen Wolf MT for sale again since the great .22 rimfire shortage but I have seen SK Standard Plus for sale since then".

According to a shooting friend the Wolf name on 22 rimfire has been discontinued. I also have not seen any Wolf 22 ammo since the shortage hit.

I believe both Wolf and SK rimfire ammo are actually made by Lapua.

fbyAZmk.jpg

Five shots at 50 yards in wind free conditions with a 1885 (low wall) Winchester single shot and a Leupold 2-7X rimfire scope.

I have gotten very good accuracy, .25" at 25 yards, out of a few bricks of Rem Sub Sonic I bought years ago in multiple different rifles. It was only 2.50 per 50 around 2007 and the hollow point performs nicely on small game.

Last edited:
Every lot # and every rifle, is "onto it self." Do some testing with your ammo and rifle. What works with my rifle may not work so well with yours.

In another test that I did......I found that my Ruger 10/22 was unreliable when using Fed Auto Match.

BTW.....GECO Bolt is available for $205 a case w/ free shipping at Target Sports USA. While a case of CCI std velocity was running $260 a case at Brownells.

Aloha, Mark

Last edited:
These were the results of some ammo testing I did the other day. I was shooting at 50 yards with a Marlin 981t and a $20 scope. Blazer gave me the best group with Remington thunderbolt in 2nd. CCI standard and CCI mini-mag hp tied for 3rd.

Attachments

• rps20180628_172620_826.jpg
    rps20180628_172620_826.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back