I'm looking for the best bolt action under 1000

madhat

hello all, i recently purchased a browning a bolt composite stainless 30.06.. loved the gun but i feel laminated wood looks better, i have my eye set of the browning eclipse 1000 stainless with BOSS in 30.06 or 7mm what do you all think? is there much better from different companies? i have handled a plethora of firearms over the years and i always fall in love with the quality of browning

below is my original rifle just sold for 750

Attachments

• 20120901_160744-Optimized.jpg
    20120901_160744-Optimized.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 158
Well I stick with tried and true. To me, what Browning Citori is to shotguns, and 1911 is to pistols, Remington 700 BDL is to bolt actions. I actually saw a new Remington BDL in 30-06 in a Walmart the other day on a vacation while I was picking up some trap loads. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Both that Walmart carried it, and that it was new and in 30-06.

I've heard good reviews about savage accuracy but nothing about the quality of the rifle, i have played around with some savage arm rifles and some of them felt like complete junk that could blow up in my face. when i cycled the action of my browning in was so tight and fluid it just screamed with precision craftsmanship and quality almost as if it was a custom gun for wholesale price

Remington 700, Ruger M77 Mark II, or Winchester Model 70, in that order. I like the Brownings and Weatherbys, but there are few aftermarket parts for them, and they tend to be too shiny. While Savages shoot well, they look like a toothache. And while there are other options out there (mostly cheaper or shinier), you are best served with something that both looks good and shoots well. Unless you want a Surgeon rifle . . .:)

Nothing wrong with the Remingtons. I have two and both shoot better than I do.

I have not picked up a new Ruger rifle in a while but I also have two Ruger 77Vs that shoot really well and both are over 30 years old.

i am considering the remington 700, now while on the website i see remington now has the 770 series, whats your thought on those?

In today's world, darned near all major-brand rifles are quite accurate. Some might need minor tweaking, or some effort to find the right choice in ammo, but the machinery is all equally good in manufacture.

IMO, then, the mix of proper fit to one's body and the particular personal ideas about aesthetics are the main aspects for choice.

You answered your own question

Get the browning x-bolt or a-bolt in the caliber appropriate for whatever critter you plan on pointing it at.

I like Winchester M70s, personally. I'd probably skip the boss.

YMMV, buy what makes you happy or you'll suffer rifle turnover syndrome!

Over the years each company could make a good argument that they were building the best at that time. In 2012 Winchester is building the best sub $1,000 rifle.

i am considering the remington 700, now while on the website i see remington now has the 770 series, whats your thought on those?

The 770s are a big no-go for me. Accuracy with the ones that I have shot (. 30-06 and .270) was poor. There are much better options in that price range.

Sent from my HTC One X

I've heard good reviews about savage accuracy but nothing about the quality of the ri

Savage 30-06 Weather Warrior, Accustock, Accutrigger, Redfield 3-9X, Federal 150 gr, blue box from WallyWorld, 100 yds.

Attachments

• Savage 30-06 100yds Federal 150gr.jpg
    Savage 30-06 100yds Federal 150gr.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 153
i always fall in love with the quality of browning

When you can feel the quality as soon as you pick it up, you know you have a fine gun. For me, it is hard to beat the feeling of holding a Winchester Model 70 (most any wood-stocked version). The looks are great, and they shoot very well. The only one that I have is an early one chambered in .243 Win. It was given to me by my grandfather, and it has been used as a working man's gun. It isn't as pretty as a brand new gun, but it is still probably my favorite gun.

If you can get a Sako for $1000, I'd suggest that. And I really do like the Ruger 77's I have, but a rifle that I recently handled was hard to put down. It was a Winchester Model 70 in a higher grade (Supergrade?). OOOOOOOO, that was a nice rifle. I do think it was a bit over $1000 though. Beautiful wood and a super polish on all the metal surfaces. That's the kind of rifle that deserves a Swarovski scope.

Jimro, I beg to differ, that "Long Range Hunter" is probably the best overall production rifle money can buy right now...

hooligan, I hardly ever disagree with anything you say, but I just cannot agree that anything Savage makes rates as the best production rifle made today. It may be a truly fine rifle, but that's just too big a statement. If you had said that it was the best for under $1000, you might have an arguable position. And, then there's the issue of what actually makes a rifle the best. Best accuracy, best action, best workmanship, best resale value......? I think that determination is going to vary with the potential buyers. And I'm not sure what rifle I'd say was the best. I'd sure look at Nosler, Sako, and Cooper, but their good stuff sure won't be under $1000.

+1 remington 700 I wasnt at all pleased with my experince with the 770 and IMHO remington should rethink the one

603, wer'e talking under 1000.00. Its probably the best, the other rifle company's have their problems, while Savage does'nt, Thats' what I'm talking about. That's what the op said in his original post under $1000.00....
Cause if he wanted we'd spend alot more, my boy's at GA Precision could build him a rifle.. but we're talking 3,000 or more, right.

I'm talking a production rifle the Savage IS the most accurate rifle off the shelf than the other brands.
I know I own two wicked ones, a Savage 110, and a Savage 111. ;)

Those rifles you mentioned list for over $3000.00, and I'd out perform them with a factory Savage.;)

Back