I’m Gonna Be On TV! Help!

Besides videotape practice, check out a Public Relations book from the local library that has a chapter on prepping executives for TV appearances.

Almost everything there will translate to the live-audience presentations.

Conceptual tip: Locks only buy time; security experts do not consider any security system to be completely immune from determined attack by a skilled and knowledgeable criminal.

Emphasize the terms criminal & thief. There is no risk-free world--we only choose the level of risk we are willing to live with. Part of the security routine MUST be regular inspection to assure there has been no breach, so you can get the cops on a fresh trail.

Perhaps a snappy analogy to our recent experiences with automobile alarms. And if the criminals who can employ acetylene against a large heavy safe bolted to the floor can't find any guns to steal, they would also be skilled enough to make their own guns, like some people in the French Resistance did during WWII.

Note that it's the noble guys building guns in the close of this analysis. Perhaps best saved for response to a hostile question.

But the no risk-free world idea should probably sneak in. The goals of HCI and company are completely unattainable until all humans live like angels.

I would like to see someone point out that placing a device on the trigger violates the most basic of safety rules.(touch the trigger only to shoot) Anyone that says they would not put one on a loaded gun as an excuse, should be reminded that "all guns are always loaded". I recently heard of a man that lost a hand and one eye when his trigger lock caused his Mossberg 500 to discharge. No, it should not have been loaded, but it is always the "unloaded" guns that get you into trouble.

Dennis,

TV Tips.

You don't need advice on the subject matter, and you don't need help in public speaking, but TV is another ball game under some circumstances.

Remember:

Your audience is the camera, not the interviewer.

Do not allow yourself to be distracted by [often deliberate] movement behind the camera or the interviewer; your eye motion will make you look shifty-eyed and untrustworthy.

Do not look down or read from notes; you appear ashamed of what you are saying.

Keep cool (not easy) even if provoked.

Zingers can be used - you will probably only need one to keep the anti types on the subject. ("Well, Joe Interviewer, you certainly know more about crime than I do, but I have never committed a crime." The subject will be dropped, especially if Joe has a record!)

Keep it light. Do not rant about the Second Amendment (better not to even mention it).

Avoid a dead pan, dead serious exposition of "our" position.

If asked about compromise, ask why compromise should be one way. (I, for example, will support gun show checks if HCI will support a national "shall issue" CCW license. Why won't the antis compromise with us?)

Try for humor, but remember the anti-gun gang is noted for their sneering, "put down" attitude toward anyone who disagrees with them. Work with another person to counter this with your own calm, reasoned, yet homorous approach.

Good luck.

Jim

in sgn july 19th page 184
seculock magazine lock
snaps into the mag well & locks with a key
$19.95
colt 45, ar15, AK, beretta 92
1-800-265-1845

dZ,
sgn = Shotgun News?

If so, could you mail me that page, please? I don't get that publication.

E-mail me, please, for my address.

dZ,
Got it! Thank you very much. It WILL be shown to the group.
-------
Improvement #1:
The meeting has been moved to a Jim's restaurant with a private room.

Improvement #2:
Mr. Hasslocher, the owner of all Jim's Restaurants, may attend the meeting.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited July 08, 1999).]

Back