I'm a Vet and I Hate Guns...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a 'Nam veteran who did serve in a spec ops group, and when I came home and was discharged, I returned to work for an Air Shipment company and spent a year in Thailand and a few other SE countries.

I then went to college and went back to work for Uncle Sam and carried a gun in many different countries, including the USA and worked out of the states of TN, NY, FL, MI and surrounding states, then semi-retired to UT. Now fully retired somewhere on a mountain in ID.

I do not believe in any stricter gun laws; other than, mental records to be added to the checks if they are verifiable and subject to some very strict regulations.

We have enough gun laws in this country now; approx. 20,000. However, they are not enforced so why add more.

I personally know of NO veterans, from any war or police action who want stricter gun laws, and all the retired Feds I know pretty much agree, more gun laws are worthless until the ones we have are enforced. Too many times over my career I have seen people brought up on gun charges just to have them disappear, or plea bargained down to nothing more than a misdemeanor, which was a true insult to those who worked and took the risks to bring these people to justice.

As for this anti-gun vet. It is her right to join an organization that wants to take away guns from everyone. After all it is a Bloomberg organization and so long as he has his private army of security guards, he could are less if anyone else can defend themselves from those gun totting criminals or nut cases running the streets. But I really wonder how many vets are engaged with Everytown for Gun Safety?

I am often asked why a person living in ID needs to carry a gun into the city when shopping. They say nothing will ever happen. My reply is, "the people who went to a nightclub in Orlando thought it would be a great and safe night out," "the people in the luncheon in San Bernardino thought it would be a great time to sit and talk," "the soldiers in Fort Hood thought it was another nice day in TX." We never know, and besides, I have worn a gun on my side for 40 years, why change my habits now.

So to sum it up, WE DO NOT NEED ANYMORE GUN LAWS. In fact, we might look to consolidating what we currently have so that they can be managed.

I’m surprised in these vets actually.
It’s their right to have whatever opinion, or say whatever they want. What I have trouble with is this: many vets have traveled to all these places, seen what human suffering dictators and despots have caused. They have seen what can happen to an unarmed populace. Some of my most disturbing visions and memories are not from direct combat, but witnessing the the plight and seeing the harm caused by not living in a free country.

We have our issues, but gosh dang, first world problems can’t even compare to the lives of people in some other places.

They have clearly stated that this is not to keep AR15s away from criminals, this is all to keep guns out of the hands of civilians.

Last edited:
She begins in a very misleading manner and continues it throughout the article. No, she did not spent countless hours learning marksmanship at Westpoint, she spent maybe two weeks on an annual qual if anything. No, she did not command two Special Operations units in the 90's.

OP,

I grew up hunting and was pretty good with rifles and shotguns. Deer, Geese, Ducks, Bear, Hogs and a host of other critters. Doves and quail laughed at me because I could not hit them unless they were on a fence or sitting still.

In 1967 I volunteered for the military. In 1968 I finally got to go to Vietnam after months of begging to be sent.

I saw and participated in horror beyond horror. When I got home due to the grace of God, I could not stand the sight of a gun. I got sick to my stomach when I saw one.

I stayed away from guns for over 30 years.

I had places of residence broken into. Cars vandalized and broken into. A truck stolen.

But in the late 1990s, when I was coming home from work (computer systems) around 3 a.m. I stopped at a red light in a not so good part of town. Two idiots came to each of my SUV doors and tried to car jack me. I ran the red light and got away. Thankfully the doors had locked.

The next day after no sleep and a lot of soul searching I went to the county sheriffs office and got a pistol permit for three guns. I had realized that I could shoot another human again. Humans (barely) who had/have less honor and integrity than the VC whom we were killing and were killing us.

Now I have many weapons and I will use them if I am forced to. I will shoot a two legged creature if I am forced to by their miscreant activities.

Anti gun idiots are ... low life. Study the history of mankind's struggle to have control of his own destiny over several thousand years. In this country we have something called Liberty. The 2nd amendment is a safeguard that our progeny will live as we have.

Liberty is worth more than life and we should always be prepared to defend it with our lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
MTT TL said:
As it turns out she was a Signal Officer in charge of a signal company in the 112th Special Operations Signal Battalion.

That would be like claiming to be a in charge of a race car team as a mechanic. In regard to her knowledge of firearms even less so.
More proof that my old boss was right. He used to say, "Everything you read in the media is true -- unless you have first-hand knowledge of the facts."

My father was a captain who commanded a signal company during WW2. He didn't come out hating guns. He also never claimed to be an expert on firearms, and he certainly never tried to portray his signal company as anything liked a spec ops unit. That's skirting awfully close to stolen valor IMHO.

Last edited:
Yes, let's have a look at another "vet" shall we? Say, how about that "general", who
appeared to be all of 38 years old, weighed about 39 lbs soaking wet, and held an AR15
like it was a wet daisy as he was thrashing about, firing it in FULLY SEMI-Automatic MODE?

My issue is more along the lines of her appeals to authority in her status, training and expertise that is clearly lacking based upon the wrong facts in her article.
Yep - I agree w/that 100%.
People on both sides of the gun issue seem to equate vet = gun.

MTT TL said:
To us it is bait.

To the undecided it is someone possibly speaking from authority, false as it is.
Therein lies the problem. Most of us easily spot the lies and dismiss her as another shill. The majority of the unwashed masses read that and think "Army officer, combat veteran, she knows what she's talking about."

Exactly

Would it not be marvelous if garbage like this was subject to "peer review" prior to publication?

Twas said by a very wise man a long time ago. Freedom of the press requires owning a press.

Nowadays everyone "owns" a press. That "press" (printing press) is of course the world wide web.

Let's see footnotes for instance. Listing your references separates those that talk the talk, from those that walk the walk.

This emperor has no clothes.

Heck, I was a soldier for 15 years. I walked some of the same halls as some of these “experts” yet I didn’t consider myself a firearms “expert” when I got out. I was proficient in operating M2, M4, M9, M16... and so on. I definitely wasn’t an expert in civilian ownership of firearms. My real firearms knowledge came from my father and other great people like on this forum.

2/3 against vs 2/3 in favor of. Seems a bit lopsided to me.
Cool! That means that 4 out of every 3 people have an opinion about gun control! :cool:

And you are right, just being a veteran does not make you an expert on anything except finding your way to the chow hall.

This backs up some research I read about many years ago, that most of the people who respond to polls have an axe to grind, and as such do not represent an unbiased sample of the population.

I remember learning that the 5.56 mm ammunition used in assault rifles is intentionally designed to slow down upon impact so that it can tumble through the victim’s organs and inflict maximum casualties.

How do you design a bullet to "slow down on impact so it can tumble"? All bullets it will lose speed on impact but this is spoken by someone who has no knowledge of ballistics and how bullets work. And yes early 556 bullets did tumble but the faster they are going while doing so the more destructive they are.

I left the Army after completing nine years of service. Right around that time, the shooting at Columbine High School happened. I was heartbroken and horrified to hear how the weapons I had trained to use so carefully – including weapons that don’t belong in civilian hands – had been used in a school to end the lives of 13 innocent children and educators.

Those goof balls at Columbine used a Hi-Point 9mm rifle, a Tec-9 and a couple of shotguns. No M-16s were used. Again incorrect data. I doubt any army anywhere stocks Tec-9s or Hi-Point carbines. Not even North Korea.

ratshooter said:
Those goof balls at Columbine used a Hi-Point 9mm rifle, a Tec-9 and a couple of shotguns. No M-16s were used. Again incorrect data. I doubt any army anywhere stocks Tec-9s or Hi-Point carbines. Not even North Korea.
But she commanded a special operations company. You know those spec ops guys (and gals, apparently) get to choose weapons not available to ordinary mortals. ;) :cool:

Personally, I regard her claims to have commanded two "special operations" companies as examples of stolen valor. She's holding herself out to be a bad-ass combat soldier, when in reality she was a signal officer in a signal company in a signal battalion. In other words, a REMF.

To those who served, and especially the 'Nam vets who never really got that welcome home they deserved, thank you for your service.
I grew up with a grandfather who served with the AEF in France in 1918. He joked the only time his engineering company was issued live ammo for their rifles was after the war ended - the celebrations were WAY out of control! I never saw him with any firearms - he was a carpenter of much skill and that was what he did. almost up to the day he passed away.
My stepfather was with the Troop Transport Command and manned the radio on a C-47 during the Normandy invasion. He had two firearms, never used.
My father was Air Force during Korea. He had several firearms, and took us shooting quite often, gave me my love for shooting.
I was Navy, and got my hero button for that one day war with Iran where we sank 3/4 of their fleet in 24 hours. Good day, that was. We had M14s, Remington 870s and 1911s on board ship, shot them when we qualified. Also had four Ruger Service Six 38 Specials, never did find out why. As a Gunners' Mate I spent a lot more time around small arms than most sailors, but still nowhere near any of the ground troops, not even close. I think 90% of my time was spent painting of needle gunning paint away to BE painted! :) I left the service with some knowledge, but the rest I gained on my own.
I know many vets, and the ones I call friends are 100% pro firearms rights. I live in AZ and am totally comfortable with everything we do here, Constitutional Carry and all.

I doubt any army anywhere stocks Tec-9s or Hi-Point carbines.

The TEC-9 is the civilian version of the Interdynamic MP-9 (full auto/open bolt). It was designed for the military but sales were an abysmal failure and nobody uses it anymore that I know of. For such a terrible gun it led the charge in evilness back in the day for the anti-gun crowd.

The old saw of "accurate fire from the hip" and barrel shrouds being an evil feature were likely based upon videos from Miami Vice of Jim Zubiena using his off hand on the barrel shroud to try to control a MP9.

Some gun control measures can be directly linked to the gun such as the ATF demanding an install of a metal serial number plate on polymer lowers and being an early gun banned by name in California.

In addition to Columbine it has been used in a number of other mass shooting events, but never by any military. So why she would be an expert on it or have these strange ideas is yet another mystery.

Interesting. Out vet that went to West Point claim's the bullet from the 5.56 is intentionally designed to slow down on impact to make it tumble. New one on me! Last I'd heard was that the bullet was intentionally made off center so it would tumble on impact. Before that I heard that if you got shot in the arm at 500yds with the 5.56 it would break every bone in your arm?

Every bullet slows down on impact! A bullet built out of balance probably couldn't hit the target! Break every bone in the arm at 500yds? I don't think a 30-06 could do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back