I'm 19 and I'm going to legally buy a handgun!

nathan37354

Inactive
Indeed, I live in Tennessee and am pretty sure that I can legally buy a handgun. As long as I buy it in a face to face transaction with a private party, not someone with a FFL, there is nothing keeping me from buying my own handgun. As far as I can tell, the law only prevents a FFL from selling a handgun to someone under 21, but makes no such provision for a private party transaction, provided the buyer is not a minor.

Am I right about this?

I'd still google it to make sure. Personally, I think the 21 to buy a handgun law is just plain silly, 18 is good enough for a more powerful rifle or shotgun so then a handgun should be legal too.

Google is pretty vague on it, most places say that it should be legal as long as there are no applicable state laws that say otherwise, but stop short of actually giving legal advice.

Yep, between the ages of 18-21 you can legally purchase a handgun in the state of TN. IIRC, there are only 14 states where you cannot do this.

Which city/county do you live in?

You may have problems getting someone to sell you one, but you wouldn't want to deal with people like that anyway

It is legal to hunt with handguns at 18 in TN. I don't see why you can't buy one from an individual. However, you must be 21 to hold a CCW permit. So don't get caught in public with it. Also be aware of the laws on transporting a firearm in a vehicle. Be safe and happy shooting.

Personally, I think it should be 21.... then again if it was

then it should be 21 to be able to drink... isn't it already? And I don't think a person should have to defend the country until that age either. It is silly to send 18 year olds into harms way and they not have full rights.

I'd perfer 25 for drinking, driving after 10pm, getting married, having kids, military service and owning handguns. Alas, I am not in charge.

"Yeah, I'm looking for a self defense weapon. I'm thinking Glock and I must add I'm only 18."
"Oh, your 18? I can't sell you a Glock, but, how about a Barrett .50?"

I'd perfer 25 for drinking, driving after 10pm, getting married, having kids, military service and owning handguns. Alas, I am not in charge.

:rolleyes: Why don't we simply not make anyone accountable for any action and regulate all of it until they can collect social security.

Seriously, this is nuts.

Do the current age limits stop any of the following:

Underage binge drinking (the real problem and only made worse by the 21 year old limit).

Irresponsible drivers. Ignoring traffic laws and reckless driving is already illegal!

Pregnancy... Come on, do you think you can effectively ban kids 16-24 from having sex!?!? Are you then going to mandate that they either be on the pill or have a forced abortion?

Military Service... well, you could ban this. Of course you would also gut the military of the majority fo its soldiers and remove one of the few methods of instilling discipline and responsibility with a generation raised by a majority of parents who no longer care to do so.

Owning Handguns! RIGHT, because those youths responsible for using handguns in murders are so concerned about the law that they are not going to posses one out of obedience to it.

Seriously, were you sent here by the DNC?

In Jewish Society when a boy reaches 13 he becomes a man and is suppose to act like a man. I think in our society we don't put enough pressure on our kids to grow up so they don't. If we would expect them to act mature, say at 16, then they'd be held responsible and they'd have to learn to be mature at 16. I think 16 is a good age to take responsiblilty for your life. Besides, the 18 or 21 or (insert age here) that we've come up with are pretty much random numbers that someone just kind of threw out there. There's no real study that I know of that proves that someone is responsible at such n' such an age. It's what society will tollerate that makes kids grow up or not grow up.

Do the current age limits stop any of the following:
Very few laws stop anything. That is not their purpose. They are designed to reduce incidents, not prevent them entirely, and serve as an expression of social values.

I dunno about TN, but here in MI that is how it works...

the day of my 18th birthday, mu father financed my present... I went to a friends house and picked up a beat-up (but EXCELLENT shooter) Ruger MK-1 pistol... then I went and "registered" it, legally, as required...

had it ever since... no problems here!

Back