Illinois Concealed Carry Renewal

I think the purpose of the high entrance fee is to keep the poor from walking around with guns to defend themselves
I wouldn’t put that past them but I think the main reason is Illinois is money-hungry to keep its vast machinery of government fed. (The state is broke.) Illinois has always bought into the idea of using taxation to attempt to shape society into the mold they desire, which supports your contention.

I’ve previously held a Pennsylvania license to carry firearms, and I now hold a Colorado concealed handgun permit. The app fee in PA is $20 and doesn’t require a handgun safety course as s prerequisite for the permit app. In CO you need a six hour classroom / range safety course as a prerequisite, in my case the course cost me $125.00 from a public range. The app fee for CO is $152.50, which is (CO Gov.) Hickenlooper’s way of saying how bad do you want this anyway.

Two ways to look at this, IMHO, good firearms training is always worthwhile if it’s well presented. However it is wrong when the state governments ratchet up the firearm licensing fees to discourage people from applying for the carry license in the first place.

Last edited:
I picked up my carry permit renewal today after work. Here, a permit costs $10 a year (you can renew for up to 5 years at a time) and you do the application online. No training or range time required.
Honestly, it takes me more time to renew my car tags than it does to do my carry permit.

I would prefer constitutional carry, but $10 a year is also preferable to a weapons charge.

I see that you are also in Alabama, so you are in the same boat as I am. Not as good as it should be, but better than some other states.

Back