“IF” you would consider letting others hog hunt on your land...

What about coyote or do you not allow coyote hunting on your 160 acres?
No stranger/s to date have ever asked permission.

As far as me controlling such doe/fawn molesting animals? I cruise my land every-so-often and always have a long barrel firearm of some sort along for those: just in case_ situations.
Like mice when the yote count needs to thinned. If the local Grey wolf don't catch em? My turn_"Hello how U been flat bolt 243 standing handsome in the corner of my National Security."

You are a "big land owner" to hundreds of millions of Americans.

Well if that the case? I did something right {financially} years ago when the land became available in 91. Wasn't easy on the family or me paying the land debt off in >5 instead of 15 yrs. Ate allot of Spam sandwiches at work & Sunday special's: Salisbury steak & boiled potato suppers, so to accomplish that early pay-off land debt.

"No one gave me a 1 million dollars the day I left my parents home so to start my career with." I left my parents home having only gumption and integrity filling my Kit Bag.

Old Stony said:
I'm sorry, but I have to sort of disagree with you about the professional hunting outfits getting the poisoning stopped in Texas. While we have some folks making money on the hogs, the majority of hogs killed in the state are by private individuals hunting on their own lands, or land belonging to acquaintances.
Poisoning was a bad idea in the first place and found people against it from the get go.
The amount of research into the side effects of poisoning hogs was not sufficient to allow such a thing to happen.

Actually the side effects of Warfarin on feral hogs is well documented, Australia was trying it back in the 80s and 90s. There is a lot of data on it if you want to sift through it all. Sodium Nitrate is probably the best option and the one the Australians are using to control their feral hog population.

Yes, a lot of people like to hunt hogs and that's great. It wasn't just the guide services complaining, I know it was much broader than that. Hog hunting is big business that brings in a lot of out of state hunters. They buy gas, hotels, food, hunting licenses and other things while visiting TX. Having a significant and rapid decrease in the feral hog population would have a huge economic impact on the state of TX especially in the rural parts of the state. Hog hunting is an industry in TX and other states and is big business if you'll admit it or not.

However, the argument let the hunters and trappers take care of them obviously isn't working. Believe me I see the appeal of hog hunting, it can be done year around, no bag limits, and it gives guys paying for a lease to hunt more opportunities to get out for a weekend than just the deer seasons. Again there is no incentive for hunters and trappers to really put a dent in the population.

All I'm really saying is take the money out of hog hunting, and the feral pig population will have to decline. With the money gone you'll have landowners and hunters alike begging for the pigs to be controlled. If there was never any hog hunting industry, then the OP's brother-in-law wouldn't have his current problem. I can't fault a landowner either for trying to make money off of something that his land supports, nor any other business that can profit from it that's how capitalism is supposed to work.

Last edited:
My first preference would be to charge enough and provide enough value that I was likely to weed out the, uh... well, you know who I mean. I don't know how much that would be as I've never been involved in such business.

From hunting over half a century, I've yet to see where income/money had anything at all to do with hunter ethics or environmental stewardship. Some of the biggest slob hunters I've witnessed were driving brand new pick-ups and had all the latest gear. Setting your price high is just giving folks high expectations. If one really wants to just eradicate the hogs then you need numbers or quality hunters....not just folks with deep pockets. I don't understand the idea that one needs to have an exterminator pay them for getting rid of nuisance animals.

In Wisconsin, as long as you do not charge folks to hunt on your land, you can not be liable for anything that happens to them, as long as you are not grossly negligent. This is so landowners do not have to worry about being sued after being nice and allowing hunter access.

If it was me, and I wanted folks to eradicate hogs on my property, I would allow anyone who wanted to hunt them do so for free until the problem was gone. I would be a bit discriminatory about who I let on, but, how much damage could they do in comparison to leaving the hogs do their stuff?

Well if that the case? I did something right {financially} years ago when the land became available in 91. Wasn't easy on the family or me paying the land debt off in >5 instead of 15 yrs. Ate allot of Spam sandwiches at work & Sunday special's: Salisbury steak & boiled potato suppers, so to accomplish that early pay-off land debt.

"No one gave me a 1 million dollars the day I left my parents home so to start my career with." I left my parents home having only gumption and integrity filling my Kit Bag.

I like that!

My BIL is thinking of leasing out some of his Texas ranch for hog hunts. No surprise he has a problem with the hogs beyond his capabilities
If you had a ranch what criteria would you use to allow hog hunters in and what would you charge?

Well right there, your brother has a conflict of interest. I understand the notion of making money for hog hunts. I also understand the problem with hogs. Once you starting leasing your land for hog hunts, hogs become less of a problem because they become a cash commodity. The people who lease their land to get rid of their hogs never really want the hogs gone because of the cash income.

If he is going to lease, I would suggest leasing to an outfitter instead of leasing to individual hunters. Have a contractual agreement with the outfitter and so only have one legal agreement with which to contend and only have the hassle of dealing with one entity.

You want an outfitter that is running hunts through the area on a regular basis. By making his property one of their regular stops, the property will get hit on a regular basis and that will keep the pressure on the hogs on a more consistent basis.

He won't make as much from the outfitter, but he also won't have to deal with all of the phone calls from allowing day hunts. He won't have to give the property tours over and over again. Etc. Day leasing will ultimately yield more money, at least for a while, but also just be a lot more hassle, particularly when clients are unhappy. With an outfitter running numerous properties, the outfitter handles all that.

He could lease to an individual, but few individuals are going to keep much regular pressure on the property. Maybe he could find the right person to be out there every weekend, but most individuals will let things slide if they aren't seeing any hogs on a regular basis.

If he is going to lease, I would suggest leasing to an outfitter instead of leasing to individual hunters. Have a contractual agreement with the outfitter and so only have one legal agreement with which to contend and only have the hassle of dealing with one entity.

Excellent suggestion.

--Wag--

As a landowner, I fully understand the liability issues of allowing hunters to use my land. Offsetting this is the amount of damage done by the hogs.
Just my opinion that the "ranchers" have exacerbated their hog damage by expecting hunters TO PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE of helping those ranchers deplete the hog population. Early on in this problem, the landowners were greedy and let the hog population explode and now, it's a bigger problem with very expensive solutions.
Simply put, I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who tried to profit from something that's now eating up their profits. I DO empathize with their neighbors who also have to face a problem they didn't create.

My opinion is states like TX will always have a feral pig problem as long as it is a money maker. Take the money out of pig hunting and you'll see the hog problem dealt with.

Same here in Florida whose pig problem is almost as bad as Texas' problem. Yet some guys will trap and then release them in a high-fence area so folks will pay them. Except those pigs don't always oblige by staying in that area......

This one is kinda old but there are semi-professional hog hunter in Texas. Then there's always the Hog Doggers. I'm not a hog dogger or a semi-profeeional hog hunter. I do hunt pigs for more than half dozen ranchers. No money exchanges hands between us. We get to enjoy pig hunting and occasionally the rancher/landowner/ranch manager might let us take a doe or two during deer season. I guess I'm pretty lucky. We get new properties everyone once in awhile by word of mouth from the ranchers we hunt for.

Back