If you were to go out hunting a large shark like in Jaws would you take a firearm?

From what I've read, heavyweight fishing tackle does just fine. By the time the shark has been brought to the boat, he's too tired to be a threat except to the careless. Folks have been catching them that way for a long time--going back to Zane Grey's well-publicized exploits in the late 1920s.

Odds are, since the shark's in the water and a shark-hunter is in a reasonably-sized boat, a rifle of the AR-10 sort would suffice. Reasonable power, multiple hits.

I'm trying to remember any characters in Jaws that stay on land through the entire movie. Ones that had the sense not to get on some stupid boat. Those are the characters I am going to base this choice on and go with my 1911.

From what I've read, heavyweight fishing tackle does just fine. By the time the shark has been brought to the boat, he's too tired to be a threat except to the careless. Folks have been catching them that way for a long time--going back to Zane Grey's well-publicized exploits in the late 1920s.

Odds are, since the shark's in the water and a shark-hunter is in a reasonably-sized boat, a rifle of the AR-10 sort would suffice. Reasonable power, multiple hits.

Nah, I run my Pioneer 222SF 60+ miles offshore and catch all sorts of things. Usually on jigging tackle and an 8000 series spinning reel loaded with 50-65lb braid and an 80lb Flourocarbon leader. Rods are usually about as big around as a pencil and 5'6"-6'0". The key is to get the head turned and never let them get it turned back. You do that you've won. Of course a big shark goes where it wants for the first 30-45 minutes. If he hasn't chewed through or spit the hook you'll normally win the tug-o-war.

These days tackle is smaller and stouter than the big winches you use to see. Drags are light years ahead and systems are made for small boat stand up tactics.

Give me a Shimano Stella 20000 on a good parabolic action rod with some 100lb JB Braid with 5' of good quality steel leader and I'd make Jaws into fish sticks.

Many years ago I read that the Elephant population was on the rise and a problem for locals, many deaths. So I purchased a beautiful super grade winchester in 458 win mag. Then I read that those locals were seperated from my town by an ocean, oh well to late. That's what I would take.

.458 win mag on a mauser type action, with 630 grain cast lead pills, at roughly 1800-1900fps.
I'd also take a BAR. Either the WW2 variant, or the new hunting version.
WW2 BAR I'd be rocking the rare 40 round magazine and full auto.
If it's a new production BAR, .300 win mag or WSM with heavy pills.

Mac-10 (full auto capable) with +P(+) 230 grain FMJ's at around 1000-1100fps for up close and personal.
Wouldn't mind a PPSH-42 with a 72 round drum mag either.

A 12G bang stick.
I used to have one in 20G and it was a handfull. Back in my young days we used to use it to dispatch large groupers and Jewfish that we pulled up using heavy handline. Let one loose and you know something BIG happened.

My 88 magnum, it shoots thru schools.......

Sharks do not go after folks like thatsilly movie. Iremember that movie almost ruined the beach scene that year :) many folks stayed home instead of the beach on the east coast. Least teh local paper said that.

A great white has a tracking collar on, it swam clean across teh atlantic.

If you were to go out hunting a large shark like in Jaws would you take a firearm?

Nope. Not for this old bushwhacker. Three sticks of 40% dynamite with primer cord pushed thru each having a short 4" fuse with a crimped copper cap would work for me. No doubt Jaws Jr. has a insatiable appetite for those humans who think they have the upper hand staring down a barrel at em. At the very least this old geezer is going to see to it Jaws Jr. gets a belly ace if he intends to have me for breakfast lunch or dinner.

Lol at some of these comments. Shoot jaws in the lungs, let me know how that works.
I watched NG show and a few 15 footers were spending a lot of time in 6 foot deep water right on the public beaches of New England. 1/4 mile out or less.
I'd take the 44mag Redhawk and the .223 ar with a lot of mags filled up with steel core stuff.

My Mossy 590A1 with rifled slugs and my 1911, would've chosen my M1A but I've heard about an episode of Mythbusters that basically proved high velocity rounds are useless against close range underwater targets as the bullets tend to break up about 2ft after penetrating the surface.

SpreadOut_zps892ab2fb.jpg

Waiting_zps36dcea03.jpg

Carnage_zps91d7975d.jpg

Bringing a gun to a fishfight ain't right. Can't believe you boys are scared of a fish.

I'm not scared of fish. If I was to catch a jaws like shark I would take a picture and let it go.
BUT, OP is just filling around. Kind of like planning a zombie apocalypse after a few too many beers with your buddies.

Back