If you only want one

Howa rifles

I just seen a YouTube video on a Howa rifle chambered in a 6.5 Grendel can't beat the price, around 700.00 with scope. I've never heard of the Howa rifle does anyone have experience with them?

I've got a couple of howas. I think they are the best quality rifle for their price. Forged receiver, one piece bolt, sako extractor, and accurate.

I have yet to see one with a heavier barrel though and for target use that's what I would want. It gets old real fast waiting for your barrel to cool off. It may also be a bit of a gamble trying to find someone who can swap out your barrel when it is shot out.

With that budget, and a 100 yard expectation, how about a valquartzen .22lr?

Like the others have said, a cheap center fire rifle like a Ruger American rifle, retails for $380, in something like .223 or .270 win will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards all day. Also, at 100 yards, a cheap scope will do the job.

You might consider an AR with Krieger barrel and cmmg trigger also in either.300 black out or 556

I want to play with loads so that's another reason not to go with 22lr.

Let's remember this in our considerations.

For light recoil and a myriad of reloading options and price I'd go with something in .223. (Yeah, I know, that's not really going out on limb.)

CZ, Savage, Ruger, Howa, or Remington bolt-action in .223.
.223 is light recoiling, cheap-ish, and has TONS of reloading options. These would make fine 500yd guns, too.

Savage 11/111, pick your caliber, or if you are not going to be carrying it around for extended periods (weight), Remington 700 long range.

Just thinking outside the box a bit....how about a .204 Remington, 222 swift or 22-250? Be kind of cool. Though I suspect expensive to shoot. But those are some flat shooting guns

I still haven't decided which caliber to go with, I appreciate all your suggestions. I think I will rule out a 22lr because I'm into reloading and I have a 22 pistol and a Remington pump 22 rifle, also some the harder hitting recoil rifles. I like the suggestions on choosing a caliper thats a little different. These are some of the calibers I'm thinking of 222 Rem, 22 hornet, 222 swift, 204, 243, 6.5 Grendel, any 6mm or 6.5 calibers.

You didn't list the best cartridge ... 221 Fireball.

I fashion my own 221 brass from 223 brass, never a brass shortage and the cases last darn near forever. Mine is a Rem 700 that I outfitted with a Boyd's Thumbhole Laminate stock, buddy has a CZ 527, both are super accurate, the single set trigger on the CZ is very nice for precision shooting.

Mine has a 3.5 - 10 variable scope and could use something with more magnification. The combination is very accurate and in my case performance limited by scope magnification. For example, ground hog hunting I ask myslef, which eyelash do I aim for ... then hit it.

The 221 Fireball is easy and inexpensive to reload and if you like tinkering with loads this is a perfect cartridge to use. Almost no recoil and you can see the hits through the scope.

Back