if you had to..

chrisintexas

if you had to absolutely keep only certain guns/calibers to cover your following needs
1. home defense
2. conceal carry
3. woods carry
4. hunting
what calibers and guns in those calibers would you keep absolutely?
and what calibers/guns would you give up?
thanks

if you had to..
if you had to absolutely keep only certain guns/calibers to cover your following needs
1. home defense= 12gauge
2. conceal carry= 9mm
3. woods carry= .44mag
4. hunting = 30-06
what calibers and guns in those calibers would you keep absolutely? These are the calibers I would go with. As for the particular platform? There's to many to choose from to pick.
and what calibers/guns would you give up? I could give up my .45acp, .223/5.56, 7.62x54r and .40S&W
thanks

With a little more thought I would probably refine my choices a bit.

Last edited:
Well, this being in the handgun forum I will leave out the obvious shotgun, and rifle choices. This also leads to changing the list a bit.
Home defense and concealed carry can easily be grouped together.
My choice would most likely be my Springfield XD40 subcompact
Secondly, what would be the difference in "woods carry" and hunting?
If woods carry is meant for protection from venomous slithering critters, probably my Taurus Judge PD Poly.
Hunting then can be broken down to two.
Large game, My T/C Contender with either the 7-30 Waters, or 35 Remington barrel.
Small game like rabbits, and squirrels, Browning Buckmark Camper 22 LR.

1. home defense Sig Sauer 9mm (+ WeMo light control)
2. conceal carry Ruger LC9s
3. woods carry Remi 12 Ga Auto
( the issue with bullets vs shot in the woods is bullets travel farther than you can see)
4. hunting Barrett M107A1 (don't hunt, only rifle I'll admit to owning :)

Like Cheapshooter all of them
Like Cheapshooter, none of them

Last edited:
I use my Commander in 45acp for a lot of all four except big game hunting, and that would have to be my Ruger Number 1 in 30-06 and grouse hunting a good 20 gauge SxS will handle all my upland needs and a good Remington 870 in 12 gauge for ducks.

1. Home defense - Handgun - 4" S&W 686 357 Magnum or Beretta 92F 9MM
Shotgun - 20" Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 Gauge
Rifle or carbine - Beretta CX4 Storm 9MM

2. Concealed carry - 4" S&W 686 357 Magnum or
3" S&W 65 357 Magnum or
Beretta 92F 9MM or
Colt Series 70 MK IV .45 ACP

3. Woods gun - Handgun - 4" S&W 686 357 Magnum or
5.5" Ruger Vaquero 44 Magnum
Shotgun - 20" Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 Gauge or
J.C. Higgins model 20 with a modified Cutts
Compensator 12 Guage
Hunting - Handgun - 4" S&W 686 357 Magnum or
5.5" Ruger Vaquero 44 Magnum
Shotgun - 20" Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 Gauge or
J.C. Higgins model 20 with a modified Cutts
Compensator 12Guage
Rifle - Winchester model 70 (3X9 Leupold Scope) .270 Winchester or
Winchester 190 .22 LR

These would be my choices for the appointed duties. I am certainly glad the OP didn't require just one choice for category. Which would I get rid of? While there are more in my collection I am glad I don't have to choose which to get rid of as all of them hold more than monetary value to me. Some were presents from family, others helped keep me safe while on the job. Still others have kept my family safe for several years now.

This is an interesting way to phrase the question. It's not a "what would you pick/what is best for.." question. It's not a "if you could only have one" question. Interesting...

I could never give up a 10mm/.40 S&W. I couldn't give up a Glock, either...
I don't own any. Can't give up what you don't have...;)

1. home defense handgun - CZ SP-01 in 9mm
1a. home defense long gun - Benelli M1 in 12 gauge
2. concealed carry - S&W Shield in 9mm
3. woods carry - CZ P-01 in 9mm (no big bears here)
4. hunting - Winchester 70 Extreme SS in 308

What would I give up? All the other stuff.

Handguns
- Already gave up my 40s
- Never needed a 10mm
- My 45s are cool, but I feel comfortable with the 9s for use by the whole family in a pinch

Rifles
- 22s are fun, but not necessary
- 223 doesn't fit a necessary niche for me
- 6.5s - they're awesome, but I'd choose the 308 for a bit more versatility
- 270 - cool catridge, but I can only pick one...
- 358 - nothing big enough to need that around where I live

Well, this being in the handgun forum

No, it isn't. General Discussion covers them all.

1. home defense- 9mm
2. conceal carry - 9mm for regular clothes, small LCP for beach shorts
3. woods carry - Don't go in the woods unless hunting birds - 20 or 28 gauge
4. hunting - upland only, 20 or 28 gauge

9mm Glocks, HK P7; Ruger LCP; O/U Browning, SxS

All the centerfire rifles, .22s, 32, 38, 357 revolvers, 45s, etc.

I have been thinking about it for about an hour now.

9mm compact for HD, CC, and woods carry (whatever that means).
12 gauge pump with multiple barrels for HD, woods carry, and hunting.
.22 lr semi auto rifle for HD, woods carry, hunting, and just plinking.

With different barrels for the 12 gauge you can cover quite a range of uses.
I don't hunt but if I did it would most likely be birds of some sort and small game. While my choices may not do everything perfectly I could live with that. Fortunately I am not forced to make these choices at this point

Only ONE in each of the four categories?
1. home defense 12 ga. Mossberg 500 ATP-8
2. conceal carry Ruger Security-Six 6" 357 magnum
3. woods carry Ruger Security-Six 6" 357 magnum
4. hunting Browning A-bolt 257 Roberts - because of the area I live in and the game in the area.

1. home defense: 45 ACP/12 Gauge (birdshot/buckshot)
2. conceal carry: 9mm
3. woods carry: 12 Gauge (Slug)
4. hunting: 308 Win/ 7.62x54R (Mosin 4 LIFE!)

If I had to, I would give up .22/other small rimfire cartriges. . .not too good for any of the above IMO

If the question allows 4 guns then my answers begin to change. If the question allows more firearms then my answer begins to change.

If the goal is minimal guns to do as much as possible then my list goes something of this nature (with alternative choices being alternates, not additional):

(1) 10MM - G29. This serves as both a home defense gun and a concealed carry gun. It can be pressed into a hunting role.
(1A) 10M G20. Many of the same capabilities as the G29 with some trade-off in ease of concealment in exchange for more usefulness in a home defense / hunting role
(1B) .357 - SP101 with the 3" barrel. Many of the factors that work for the G29 work for the SP101. The SP101 gives you a greater range of ammunition at the cost of more recoil at the upper end.

Honorable mention: There are a great deal of revolvers that are very similar to the SP101 that could easily be put in its place. I went with the SP101 because it is what I am familiar with.

Honorable mention: A number of flavors of 12 gauge shotgun. While the undoubtedly give far better hunting potential than any of the pistols mentioned they sacrifice the concealed carry portion entirely.

(2) A 12 gauge shotgun. While I personally have a penchant for double barrel and break action shotguns in the limited firearm scenario I am taking one of the myriad of pumps with interchangeable barrels for both a smooth barrel with interchangeable choke tubes and a slug barrel. In this pick a specific gun game I am leaning towards a 870 Wingmaster I think.

(3) Pick your favorite rifle. In my case I am taking a Ruger #1 in .375 Holland and Holland which I can hunt anything on this planet with though in deference to the desire to hunt birds I placed the shotgun first.

(4). I now have selected a good concealed carry weapon and a rifle and shotgun combo that will allow me to hunt anything on this planet that walks or flies. The 4th gun is a luxury pick. Personally I end up with a Ruger M77 with a short barrel - likely in something in the nature of .270

Lohman, I carry a G29 10mm and for the power of 357mag I have a 9x25 Dillon barrel for it. Actually with Underwood and Buffalo Bore it's more powerful than 10mm and 357mag. Two calibers in one gun and if you want you can add the 40sw barrel and make it three.

I have all three. :cool:

I think the categories are somewhat arbitrary, so I'll just say - the basic battery would be:

1. An AR-15
2. Glock 17
3. Pump 12 gauge of respectable brand
4. Ruger 10/22

That covers the usages.

Back