If you had just one handgun, for what main purpose would it be?

If you had only ONE handgun, it would be for...

• Plinking, recreational shooting

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • Competition, shooting sport of any kind

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Hunting

• Home defense, insurance for bad days to come

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • CCW, self defense

Votes: 66 55.5%
  • Survival, outdoor companion

• Collecting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Again, primarily all my handguns are for range plinking, but serve multiple purposes because I so rarely actually have to defend myself or my home and the apocalypse hasn't happened yet and I don't hunt. If I had to narrow it down to one specific purpose to have a gun, it would be self defense which for me would include HD and CC.

I have on both 'designs'.

The first one I bought, because it is one of those autoloader brand names, that are known pretty much where the 1911 is not used, for many years.

The second one, I bought because it is of a revolver model I had in the military, and the cartridge still performs, today.

HOWEVER, with more reports in the rural areas of the country, where it is NOT 'an' asaillant, but rather, 'assaillants', I am becoming painfully aware that I might need more than 'a cylinderful', to start with.

I guess I'd probably pick out my USP 45 compact and shoot everything with it.
I just love them big bullets! I have a SA Champion I might learn to carry, but the grip keeps sawing through my belt, so Mexican carry is out. I can carry the USP compact models in my front pocket without too much billiards.

aren't all handguns for self-defense/rifle backup?

yes. the handgun was never designed for hunting and now even the best ones touted as a "hunting gun" are still a distant second to a rifle or shotgun.

handguns were designed as a close quarter weapon.

My Smith 686 4". I shoot IDPA with it - I shoot it a lot, in general. It's got a 4" barrel, so it delivers a pretty stout round for defense. Built like a tank - isn't ever going to break. Can shoot a wide range of ammo (duh).

Yep. The 4" Smith. No doubt about it.

simonrichter said:
Yes, I'm well aware that most of you own more than one and you can cover more than one purpose with one handgun, still...

My primary purpose for any handgun is self defense-whether it is out on the town or tucked quietly in my bed.

My choice is the Colt Combat Commander Self defense

I have carried this every day since 1974 and at night it is in my night stand drawer. It is throated, the frame nickeled and the slide blued. I have used it shooting hunter pistol matches and at 50 yards it is dead on. This pistol is a part of me and points as if it were one of my fingers.

The best handgun for anyone is the one you practice the most with.

CCW, because it is the most important. The same gun can fit the bill for HD, but not all HD guns can be a CCW.

I loved my Sig P226 far more than my Glock 26, but when it came time to sell one, it was the P226 that I sold. Had to keep my EDC gun.

For one gun, a 3" or 4" 357 magnum is as good of an all around gun as you can get to fill the most needs.

I buy guns for enjoying their mechanics and/or their history.
If shortened to one only it would be the one I use for action shooting (which is what I mainly do with handguns).

If I could only have one handgun due to financial circumstances it would be a 22 revolver, cheap to shoot.
If it was simply a personal decision then it would be a 357 revolver, covers most uses.
If the choice of one handgun was forced on me through government regulation it would be a high capacity 9mm with tons of ammo on hand.

Defend the Castle

The main purpose would be to defend our home, but it would also have to be used for target practice, concealed carry, survival/hunting (if we had to vacate the premises), etc.

It would be a S&W .357 Mag. Main purpose would depend on the circumstances at any given time. It fills the bill and will cover all your needs.

I think it's a hard question to narrow down. For me, it would be a "general purpose" handgun. My choice would be a .357 - gives the option of more than one ammo. Probably a 3 inch barrel - easy to CCW but still accurate enough to plink, shoot critters on the farm, HD, etc. Sort of an all purpose gun. Of the top of my head - probably a 3" 357 Ruger SP101 or a 3" Smith & Wesson Model 60.

I really don't think that any one handgun fits all of a person's needs though. Otherwise, there would only be "one in the herd" . . . I'd wager that most here have more than one in their "herd"? :D

In the spirit of the question, if I could only keep one gun for one purpose, it would be for CCW. If I could have anything it would probably be a commander sized 1911 in 9mm.
If I was limited to keeping one I own it would probably be my XDS because it's the easiest to carry everywhere.

If I were keeping one gun for all purposes it would be a 4" gp100. I have one, and if I ever had to sell off the rest that's the one I'd keep.

What is My Handgun's Purpose?

CCW, self-defense, home defense, and for possible bad times that may come.
Was I allowed to pick two?
:(

Back