If you had a time machine

Stressor

If you had a time machine, what gun-related event would you try to influence? I think I would stop the forward assist from being invented.

You can buy uppers with blanked out forward assist area, just saying.

Because of the 13 million times I got the FA snagged in camouflage netting, I understand the sentiment.

"Gun related"?
Assassinations of President Lincoln/ Arch Duke Ferdinand/ JFK (sure I could come up with a few more to influence).

If you intended "gun design related" then say so.

A ship's propellor and be the first at the patent office.
I'd invent the brass cartridge with percussion cap for primer.
Then I'd invent a revolver for the cartridge.
Then I'd invent a revolving rifle.
Then the falling block breechloader
Then a lever action.
Invent the suppressor.

I'd wrestle with a Gatling gun for naval ships, fortress defense for repelling infantry. For infantry, it could be on wheels like the Maxim gun.

I would do everything I could to defeat, or repeal the NFA 1934.
Same for the GCA 1968. It would be a much pleasenter world without these monstrosities.

I think you would find me hollering real loud in Fords Theater or on a Grassy Knoll.

Kaiser Wilhelm... I don't really know the dude but friends say he'd come over with pals, drink your beer, and never had a six-pack or paid for the pizza. He can ride without warnings.

Many years ago when I was in high school, around 1965., I traded a 32 automatic to a friend of mine for a 22 revolver. The 32 automatic was given to me by my grandfather and to this day it bothers me to no end to know that I traded it away. Grandpa, please forgive me. So, if I could go back in time, I would make sure that the trade never happened, and I would keep the pistol to this day.

If I was confined to a single event I would have a hard time deciding but the forward assist wouldn't even be considered. If I was confined to 100 events the forward assist wouldn't even be considered. That is such a trivial thing.

I'll play a little......

I'd go to 1775 and introduce the Minie ball and rifled musket.
It'd still be a flint lock, but it would outclass anything the Brits had.

1939 I'd convince the military to adopt a modified AK-47 chambered in an American version of the 7.62x39 only in a .30 caliber.

In 1915 I'd kick Army and Marine butts and force the start of a well trained, dedicated scout/sniper program, and I'd equip them with a true sniper rifle.
After 1918 it would be continued for use in WWII/Korea.

We would not have started WWII with the Brewster Buffalo "fighter", and the P-40 Warhawk would be getting removed from service in favor of the P-51 Mustang.
By mid 1944 the F-86 Sabre jet would be over Berlin.

The M26 Pershing tank would have been at Kasserine Pass and Patton would be in command.

When Hitler took back the Rhineland in 1936 I would have sent two Texas Rangers to run him off, and stopped WWII. :)

i didn't hear anyone mention corking the first attempt at a firearm in hopes of preventing them.

we might have been in a different time line if that had happened...

"ever feel like you are surrounded by idiots?"

yep all the time...

i didn't hear anyone mention corking the first attempt at a firearm in hopes of preventing them.

I wouldn't expect anyone on a firearms forum to put forward the suggestion of preventing the development of firearms.

we might have been in a different time line if that had happened...

We absolutely would be in a different timeline if that had happened.

I enjoy sci-fi and alternate histories, but I don't think this is the place, even if you can keep it firearm specific, its nothing more than an interesting what if, along with the 'too bad we didn't do it that way in reality" for the ideas you personally like.

Here's one, a small thing, but one that would have had an impact in firearms development history...
How about going back to a bit before 1900 and convincing JM Browning that a rimless round could reliably headspace on the case mouth. No need for the semi-rimmed case design.
:D

If you had a time machine, what gun-related event would you try to influence? I think I would stop the forward assist from being invented.
I would help with the drafting of the 2nd Amendment which would read:

SECOND AMENDMENT

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, including those equivalent or even superior in operation and/or design to those in use by any military organization, for hunting, self defense, defense of others, defense of national borders, defense of the nation, state or private militias whose purpose is to defend the Constitution, collecting, or for recreation shall not be infringed by the Federal Government or any State, local government, quasi-government, foreign government or any international governing authority. Any citizen who's rights under this 2nd Amendment have been infringed shall be entitled to recover civil damages in the amount of three times the President's salary plus their attorney's fees and litigation costs."

Back