If you habitually used Hoppes #9 to clean your guns but...

First- we use ferric chloride to etch knife blades. Don't put it any where near a gun barrel. It very actively attacks steel!
The 1911 channel guy is a complete idiot. He runs his mouth, but has no idea what he's talking about. After all his "scientific" tests, he never tells you the end result. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! He's a complete buffoon.
"Gold leaf" isn't used on firearms, it's used on signs and fire truck lettering. There are no gun solvents that will destroy gold. He's so wrong on most counts that is pitiful!
And I have an arsenal in my vault-really.

Last edited:
I have a question for those who say there are better choices than good ole Hoppe's. How?
When I clean my guns with Hoppe's #9 they end up........well,.......clean!
So how much more clean, than clean do the newer products get a gun?
I was a user of Hoppe's #9 because that is what my father used. However, back in the early 70's I noticed a trail of "rust" running down the barrels of my 12 gauge Browning Side by Side. I could not get it out, no matter how much I cleaned with Hoppies and a brass brush. Then, at some point, for some reason which I cannot remember now, I used some other cleaner. To my amazement, when I pushed a patch though the barrels, out came a black mush and the "rust" was gone. In short, it had been plastic fouling from shot shells with plastic wads. I do not know if Hoppe's ever changed their formula to accommodate plastic fouling, but I lost faith in them and went to other cleaners that remove plastic along with powder fouling. The heck with Hoppe's... it did not keep up with changes in shot shells from fiber wads to plastic.

Just use Ballistol. In my opinion there is nothing quite like it. I think it cleans and protects better than most non-abrassives out there.

Like a well seasoned cast iron pan or skillet. With prolonged use, on anything really, carbon deposits and most everything else will wipe away with ease.

That is until you can find your Hoppes. I'd want it too.

Back