If you could only use one powder for everything what would it be?

Once again,OP,

If the point of this post is just BS ing and wasting time,well, IMO,black owder is as good an answer as any.

If you will just list the cartridges you load for,and bullet weights, we can help you select a minimal powder inventory that will actually give you pretty good ammo.

Till then,this is a yawner

Well...pretty tough to come up with one that'll work with handgun, shotgun and rifle...but given that premise, I'd pick Unique.

It'll do for handgun with medium to high velocity loads, say up to 1200 fps, in .357, .41 and .44 Magnums without hitting pressure limits. And it's always a good, reliable choice for 9mm, .40 S&W, and .38 Special rounds.

In shotgun, with a little load research, you'll find that it'll do well for 12, 16, & 20 gauges.

But for rifle, with cast bullet use, and if you limit velocities to the 1900 vintage lead bullet loads in cartridges like .32-40, .44-40, .38-55, and .45-70; it'll do nicely as well in .270, .30-30, .30-06, .308, & 7x57 mm, etc.

Aside from its less than sterling dispenser measuring attributes, and a somewhat smoky burning characteristic (hell..it's known as "flaming dirt" by various detractors), Unique will do nicely as a one single choice powder....that said, I've currently got exactly 14 lbs of it in my powder cabinet and both Dillon 550B powder measures are full!

YMMv, Rod

Last edited:
Hahahahahahahahaha........ - someone didn't read the manual, or even the side of the powder container for that matter.......

I suppose it's possible if you only shoot one caliber of black powder and that's all you own......

I just wanted to get some general opinions on what people thought was the best universal powder to get usable velocity enough to take care of two legged predators and up to about deer size game in darn near any cartridge maybe excluding some tiny ones like .25 and .32 acp although unique does work in most of these,or really large like 50 BMG.
Personally I reload 30-06,8mm Mauser,7.62x54r, 30-30,.223/.556,7.62x39,7x57 .303 British, 6.5 carcano,7.5 French,22-250,.270win,35 Whelen,8x56r Hungarian,12 gauge ,20 gauge,9mm,38special,44 special,357 mag,40s&w,45ACP,45colt,38-40,44 mag,32acp,10mm

smleno1mkIII
I just wanted to get some general opinions on what people thought was the best universal powder to get usable velocity ..... I reload 30-06,8mm Mauser,7.62x54r, 30-30,.223/.556,7.62x39,7x57 .303 British, 6.5 carcano,7.5 French,22-250,.270win,35 Whelen,8x56r Hungarian,12 gauge ,20 gauge,9mm,38special,44 special,357 mag,40s&w,45ACP,45colt,38-40,44 mag,32acp,10mm

Well...OK,
I think I could make all those cartridges go bang safely
with H4895 and Green Dot.

Varget. I hand load for 223 and 30-06. my go to for 223 is benchmark, however it does not have enough case fill for 30-06. for 223 varget does not hit the velocities i like with my 55g range ammo, its about 150-250 fps low, but i could make it work.

Compromises need be made of one powder is is used across several cartridges. Probably best if they're all the same caliber. 30, for example, if for rifles.

IMR4320 would be good for the 30-30 WCF through others to the 300 Winchester Magnum. Heavier bullets in the 30-30 progressing down to the lighter ones in the Win Mag. Perfection may be with the 30-06.

Same powder may do nearly as well in adjacent calibers; 28 and 32.

For all of my cartridges, one powder would work well except for one caliber. H-4350 works well in everything except the 5.56x45.

If I had to choose only one though it would have to be Varget. It is not as good in my bigger calibers, but is good in the 5.56 and 308. It would also be ok/marginal in my others.

Timely question.

I recently bought eight pound of Titegroup as I know it will work in all the hand gun calibers I load. I load just about every thing from 25 acp up to 44 mag and can find Titegroup formulas for most of it.

It used to be I'd look at the bullets I had, then scan my powder shell to see if I had anything that would work with the published formulas. This has result in a dozen or so powder "cans" that still have a dribble of unused powder in them taking up room on the shelf.

Plan to use up all those dribbles and run with the Titegroup.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I like Titegroup 9 mm , 45 ACP , 357mag , 38special . I don’t know how many other rifle loads there are using Titegroup but I know there’s a load in 308 Winchester . Produces something like 1200 ft./s but at least there’s a load do use .

Interesting question, because it really asks what guns you would want to shoot the most. So even though I have lots of handguns I wouldn't want to give up--I'd let them go in preference to rifles. My pick would be either varget or H1000, between the two they cover a lot of ground between the smallest to biggest centerfires I have with generally solid performance. My 8 lb'er of H1000 that I bought less than a year ago is already approaching empty--it doesn't take long on a steady diet of large capacity cartridges, so as much as I like the big bangers if I had to choose between the two I guess it would be varget since theoretically it would last longer.

I am a big unique fan when it comes to pistol but recently stared using the Hodgdon CFE pistol and Its amazing how consistent its measures. I set it to 5.3 grains and it only deviates 0.1 + or -. As far as a one powder for all... I don't know.

Back