If you could only keep one...

any 686 lock or not. I have a 3" with lock an i shoot that thing better than every gun i have, second to that one is my MP 9 2.0 full size. Those 2 guns would keep me very safe in my hands. All that said though i have looked and handle those Kimbers and would love to justify the expense sometime.

The Kimber is a very nice revolver with a nice, but odd feeling to me, trigger. More importantly the Kimber is a current production item.

The 686 is a revolver from a storied name from a time when we all look at through rose colored nostalgic glasses that they are not making anymore. (That hole in the side makes a difference if not mechanically, aesthetically and or politically. This makes the 686 the better choice overall IMO unless the choice comes down to PURELY tool for tool.

If this is simply a tool for tool choice. Pick the one you shoot better or addresses your problem better. Carry take the Kimber. Bedside/Jack of all trades take the 686.

Heck took for tool all value and emotion aside.....sell both and get a mid sized piece of tactical Tupperware.

All that said for me personally in that conundrum I still take the 686.

I own both and I say keep the Kimber. It's a better carry gun.
True. I don't own both.
But I also don't carry my 686. It's for shootin'. Other things are for stuffing down my pants.

No one ever said that the "one" had to be used for concealed carry.

686. I still have my no dash 6' that was my duty gun during the mid to late 1980's. I carried that beast concealed in Texas from my days as a Ft Worth city cop.

Well, I would go by the "which one would you be able to replace easier if you should ever regret the initial sale?" rule. I would think that finding another pre-lock 686 2.5" again would be much harder. Plus those older smiths a nice :)

I have never shot either nor do I own them, but I would choose the Kimber and here is why...

Same capacity and it’s a smaller overall gun. Easier to CC and maneuver.

Which one are you leaning towards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Size and weight is a practical factor, if one wants to conceal carry. The Kimber wins hands down for that purpose. For any other application, the 686 is perfect.

I think you answered your own question...

I don't carry a revolver, so I don't really have a dog in the hunt... but for general shooting purposes, the 686 all day.

I had a 4" 686, a retired cop gun I bought for a pittance, I traded it off for a carry .45 (that I had problems with and traded off... ) I wish I had that pistol back, it was just an excellent pistol all the way around. I would not carry it concealed, however.

686, I wouldn't even want the Kimber. I would be listing it on Gunbroker. Shot one, not impressed and it's ugly on top of it.

After reading all your suggestions and first account experiences with these revolvers, I decided to keep both in my collection. Thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back