If you could make your perfect handgun what would it be?

D-Rick, Mr. Bowen is now so busy he’s only doing jobs he is interested in.

I doubt that a caliber conversion on aluminum parts would be accepted. Anyone with the reamers can open up those .44 holes to .45.

A Bowen is a sculpted piece of steel, with attention to perfected lines, reduced weight, nod to history, beautiful metal finish, maybe even exotic grips. I have a Bowen .44 Magnum, and that’s not something they really take on anymore. Too mundane.

The 329 is a very attractive aluminum field revolver, but I submit you just load yours with .44 Special and think of it as a .44-40 and you’re done for free. And you can worry less about cracking the frame than those pounding their hands shooting magnum loads out of that lightweight hammer.

I still want hammer-fired, DA/SA, decocker-only alternatives with good stock triggers.

I get that things are still a little crazy right now. There are still plenty of old timers who'd want this. There are still young people who learned on a metal Sig, decocker-model CZ, etc. There is a real and hopefully growing cross-section of people who care about trigger feedback on reholstering with people who feel that extraneous manual safety levers could be counterproductive in real-life defensive encounters.

I recently got excited when I found out that the P40L in 10mm was being imported again. Then I found out that only the manual safety version was being imported. It's a bit like seeing paddle-releases replaced with an "M2" that trades distinction for "more of the same".

I miss a more diverse market as much as I miss a market that served my interests. I haven't bought a new model in the semi-auto category in a long time.

Last edited:
The perfect handgun has been with us, albeit discontinued, for the past 23 years or so; the fabulous Smith & Wesson Model 945 and its many iterations. Perfection that would make a Glock blush with shame. :)

A Broom Handle in 357 Sig.
A Luger
A 10" blue, open sighted 375 Win. Contender.
And a 5" M27, any of these would do it for me.;)

I've got some close to perfect now, but these would be my fantasy guns:

An S&W 628. Not one made like they would make them now, but a pinned and recessed one just like my 28-2's in every way but in SS. Target grips (I hate the Magna grips in every way), target hammer and trigger too. 4" and 6" too. Never gonna happen, sadly.

CZ SP-01 in SS with night sights. Some nice wood grips along with wrap around rubber ones in the box too. I have no idea why CZ hasn't made this gun yet.

I’ll keep my Wilson 45 I have but request only 3 changes I forgot in the original order:

It never runs out of ammo (just like the old western movies)
It never misses the target.
It never gets dirty.

There you have the perfect handgun.

I've long wished for a slimmer HK produced gun the size of a Kahr P9. My "perfect HK" would have;

DA/SA hammer
3.5" barrel
8 or 9 round mag
optic ready
accessory rail
polymer frame
two or three backstraps
integrated grip activated green laser
Weigh 17 ounces
HK reliability

I can dream can't I. :D

Why not? I'll start wishing...
I would like to see a 5" S&W L and N framed .38-40 and .44-40. I would like to see a rimless .32 S&W Long (or maybe a lengthened .32ACP?)- and I would like to see it married up with something like a S&W Model 41, or a Model 52, or even the new Sig P210 Target. And, darn it, I'd like to actually see the Sig P210 Carry actually show up on dealers shelves.

Back