If you could have just ONE powder for...

H-4895 is an Extreme Powder, with temperature insensitive coating. I've gotten the lowest ES of 7fps, SD of 5.5, and same point of impact with 150 and 165 in my 308. Accuracy on both bullets with a 42gr. load is .5".

H4895 has been my surprise powder, it’s a good go to powder. Even though I’m well stocked on Varget I’m getting as much or more mileage from H4895. At my rate of shooting I’m pretty well set for powder for the rest of my life shooting wise.

Have to go with H4895 in quantity.

It can be reduced from 60% of max listed loads right back up to the top end listed. I've used it in everything from reduced 243 loads up to full blast 06 loads and have found it might not always burst velocity records it has been plenty accurate to put plenty of meat in the freezer.

There are a lot of options, but I have to agree that either IMR4895 or H4895 would be my choice. It can perform quite well in any of those calibers.

While I agree with all of you in stating that 4895 is a very versatile powder , it's also a popular powder. So that being said when the reloading panic buying sets in, my choice of the lesser popular W748 will stay on the shelves longer.

As an example back in '14 when we were in the height of another gun panic, only oddball niche powders were on the shelves at the LGS's. The only rifle powder I could find was primarily 2000MR and more scarce but available was W748 . I experimented with both, ultimately I found out both are great (but not ideal) substitutes for 223 and .30 cal . So I guess my point is experiment and test with the less popular powders as backups when the panics ensue.

Last edited:
I don't load or shoot tons of rifle ammo and a couple pounds of H4895 makes me a a 3# coffee can of 30-06 ammo, with powder left over.

Since I no longer own a .308 or 30/06 I could get by with just one powder and rarely use any others. I load for the 30/30, .350 Rem mag, 45/70 and 250/3000. All are reloaded with 3031 and provide excellent accuracy.

As a veteran of past "shortages" and something of a tightwad, I decided to go for bigger volume purchases.

I have stocked up on WC 844 (the milsurp version of H335). Although there will be shortages from time to time, WC 844 will be available between shortages. With the lower cost per lb, I felt I could afford to stock up for what should be a 8 to 10 year supply (48 lbs).

Just be aware that a surplus powder is likely to be older than what comes off the shelf, so the odds of it going bad over the next decade are greater, too.

If I wanted to stock up more than I have, I would opt for new H335 jug or two. I have and use WC844, that was recovered from 25 year old military ammo that lifed-out. I would hesitate to think it will last another 25. But new H335 should.
And if I were to have only one powder it would be A-2460. It will handle all 223, 308 and many others.

Back