If You Could Design/Build Your Dream Gun

I saw one FAQ that had no mention of rimfire. If it was a "rimfire competition" then something like a Ruger Single Six makes more sense.

The FAQ I saw said ".32 and above and that's IT".

There's a mistake being made here, methinks. NAA is probably among the best-selling SA guns out there, definately the highest in terms of street carry.

Jim March

Howdy Jim,

Our .22 side match is basically a stage set up with falling plate targets that is shot with a .22 revolver and a .22 rifle. You're correct-Single Six Rugers and other six shooters are usually the gun of choice for these. .32 and above(which has actually been modified to .31 and above to include some of the cap & ball pistols) is for the pocket pistols. Derringers can be .22,and quite often derringers and pocket pistols are shot in the same side match.

Bellicose Bill

Howdy again all,
I apologize for being away so long. With summer coming up I've been kept pretty busy doing custom owrk for folks all rushing for the up coming season. So I'm going to try to catch up here now.

Fal you flatter me regarding my knowledge regarding the .44 mag. Spencer but I suspect Elchimango, Trapdoor and a whole lot of others would be better qualified to render an opinion.

Elchimango you're right the "dream gun" thread is beginning to stall. I actually started this thread in an attempt to draw more folks into the Cowboy catagory on TFL. If you go back and read just the first two lines in the original post you'll probably remember just how little activity there was here back then. I was becoming frustrated at the lack of talk and, as I said in the last line, hoped it would stir up more activity. Well we've all done that. Things have sure changed since then.
I think you're right that black powder should have a bigger part in cowboy shooting. I know where you're at many of the shooters new to cowboy shooting are using the black powder guns they already own. Here out of laziness of not wanting to clean up after shooting black powder (I'm among that group) and the added speed of the cartridge guns it just isn't as popular. I to would like to see a little more latitude allowed by SASS, WASA, NCOWS, etc. I see and appreciate their concern to avoid the "I win because I've got more expensive equipment then you" approach so prevailent in other forms of shooting. However I also feel it stifles new ideas and developments in the guns and equipment offered. We all, myself included, complain that the manufacturers don't offer new guns that were in use in the 19th century. But when it comes right down to it if SASS, et. al. will not allow a gun or modification it is not profitable to develope and build it. I myself am guilty of this same thinking. I currently have new concepts that I can't afford to develope because of the lack of a market. Fortunately in my case I do a lot of my business in the custom firearms research and development field for firearms industry leaders. It gives me an opportunity to express my (odd) creativity without a great deal of risk. I get none of the glory but do enjoy the personal satisfaction in knowing that one of my concepts is in use by one of the "big boys".

Jim, I agree the NAA mini would be ideal for the pocket pistol stages. I heard several say they would like to see in avaiable in .32. You and Belicose Bill might give 'em an e-mail requesting it. I already have.

Fal I haven't done any work on the Colt Lightning but I do have a source for the parts. If you'd like give me a holler off list and I'd be glad to give the part#'s and phone number for anything you may need. That offer applys to anyone else interested. I know that they are not thought of well because of being prone to parts beakage but I still love 'em.

While I'm here, with Jim's permission, I'd like to invite you all over to the post about building his custom Vaquero. You all are always good for innovative ideas as seen here in this thread. This has the potential to be a fun thread.

I'll try not be such a stanger once the weather warms up and business slows some.
Gunslinger

I'm new to this forum and don't even shoot cowboy yet. I've only got one of the necessary battery, a .45lc EMF Hartford. But I'll give you a fantasy gun.
How about a mutation of the Schofield. A top break, 6 shot with a modern type double action and grip. Offer it with 5" and 7" barrels in .44spl, .45lc, .44-40.
Then do it again with a smaller 5 shot cylinder, round butt and 3" tube.

Back