If uncomfortable with Strikers, which CCW?

CZ-75 PCR is the best hammer fired alloy frame CCW pistol ever made. Of course your mileage may vary.
For poly frame compact hammer fired - CZ P-07 all day long.

XD-E in about three different versions, if I'm not mistaken. However, at least one version has been out for quite a few years.

I would like to know more about the PCR.
The CZ-75D / PCR is an alloy frame, compact version of the venerable CZ-75. It has a 3.75" barrel, decocker (no safety) and 14+1 rd capacity. It can take full size CZ-75 magazines, though they will extend below the grip. It was designed for Police (I believe detective) use and has a bit of a 'melt' with rounded edges that was intended to work well for concealed carry.

There is version of this pistol with a light rail called the P01.

They are very good DA/SA handguns. It is smaller and lighter than the full size CZ-75, (and lighter than the standard CZ-75 Compact) while still keeping the reliability, good accuracy and good ergonomics of the original.

I've carried this gun for about 5 years IWB at 5:00 with 15rds of 124gr Speer Gold Dots and a 17rd reload in my pocket. The only modifications I made to the gun were the addition of VZ G10 grips and Truglo TFX Pro night sights.

pXHtO1l.jpg

My CZ PCR next to my full size CZ-75B

Last edited:
The handy thing about being 6'6" and 285# is that I can conceal carry my FNX-45. Nothing like 15+1 rounds of .45 acp to give a guy a sense of security!

Why do you feel uncomfortable with a striker?

Personally, I like DA/SA as a safe carry method. I don't like manual safety switches. I like all my safety built into the trigger. I also like the feedback of a hammer when reholstering. Unfortunately, the revolution in small single-stacks has mostly been in the world of strikers.

There is an exception worth noting. The Walther P99 is striker-fired but can be run in DA/SA. It has a decocker and no manual safety. It's relatively compact for the full-sized category and the compact is decent for a double-stack. It's light and works well in 9mm. The stock trigger is excellent.

For a larger hammer-fired gun, I really like the PX4 Storm with low-profile decockers installed. There is an upgraded compact version which comes that way but I haven't had a chance to try it. If you prefer metal and feel like spending, Sig has a bunch of options. (I'm still kicking myself for not buying the optimized P239 SAS Gen II when it was available.) As others have suggested, the PCR might be worth checking out.

The standard PCR comes equipped with Novak style low mount sights and has a loaded chamber indicator on the top of the slide as well.

I like the long DA revolver-like pull of my PF-9. Allows me to pocket carry with a round chambered and not worry about an AD.

My choice is a CZ P-07. It’s essentially a Glock 19/23 in terms of size, but with a hammer. Ergonomics are fantastic. Other good choices are the Beretta PX4 Storm compact or the CZ PCR/P01.

I pocket carry a Kahr PM9 and in the summer I IWB a Kahr P9. These are striker fired guns but the long smooth trigger is more like a DA gun than what you typically think of as “striker fired” like a Glock or M&P trigger.

Last edited:
The P99AS, Sig P250, and H&K P2000 LEM are guns I like for CC because IMHO they have less chance of AD; however, I generally shoot more accurately with a striker; lousy trade off.

The LEM trigger is a lot like the DAK from Sig in my experience. Anyone who grew up shooting DA revolvers will get acclimated to it pretty quickly. I find that I shoot a DAK just as well as a Glock. A DAK or LEM isn’t remotely as challenging as the long stroke of the P250.

I went with a hammer gun for the same reason as you: defensive guns get handled a lot more than they get used and the long trigger stroke and exposed hammer both have positive safety benefits. Putting my thumb on the hammer while holstering makes me feel pretty confident I’m not about to shoot my femoral artery.

The LEM trigger is a lot like the DAK from Sig in my experience. Anyone who grew up shooting DA revolvers will get acclimated to it pretty quickly. I find that I shoot a DAK just as well as a Glock. A DAK or LEM isn’t remotely as challenging as the long stroke of the P250.

I went with a hammer gun for the same reason as you: defensive guns get handled a lot more than they get used and the long trigger stroke and exposed hammer both have positive safety benefits. Putting my thumb on the hammer while holstering makes me feel pretty confident I’m not about to shoot my femoral artery.
I learned to shoot on a S&W Model 13, my first firearm was a Model 19, and I owned a half dozen or more P2000s, including one in LEM. I hated LEM. It was nowhere as nice to me as a DA revolver. To me it was like someone's solution to the hard first DA pull on a DA/SA pistol was to make every trigger press mediocre. Obviously YMMV.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

By changing a couple of springs, my P2000 LEM feels like a super tuned S&W revolver pulling straight through; as for the P250, I much prefer its long 6.5 DAO to a PPQ or P320 for carry--but I'm more accurate with the latter two.

By changing a couple of springs, my P2000 LEM feels like a super tuned S&W revolver pulling straight through; as for the P250, I much prefer its long 6.5 DAO to a PPQ or P320 for carry--but I'm more accurate with the latter two.
I tried some of the spring swaps. It wasn't what I'd call a super tuned S&W. But that's me.

I don't hate DAK or LEM, but I think it's safe to say they were an attempt to respond to Glock to some extent. They weren't particularly successful commercially, or at least as much of the manufacturers wanted as they all went on to design their own striker fired pistols. I still find new HKs in LEM, but I don't remember the last time I saw a new SIG in DAK. The P250 is discontinued. These systems are not dead, but the writing is on the wall imo.

Last edited:
What is your preferred carry?
Mostly a Glock 19 these days. But that's me. If someone wants to carry otherwise more power to him/her. I carried DA/SA for as long if not longer. I'm not convinced one system is the penultimate system. I'm just not personally a big fan of LEM and I do think those similar systems appear to be fading. That doesn't mean they're "bad".

Back