If Obama picks a pro-gun VP?

If Obama selected a pro-gun VP, such as Jim Webb or Ted Strickland, do you think they could influence Obama to moderate his anti-gun extremism? I'm not voting for him under any circumstance, but if we are stuck with Obama, does a pro-gun VP bring any comfort at all?

Last time I checked he'd still be working with a Congress run by Pelosi and Reid, so I wouldn't put much stock in his VP choice.

His selection of a Veep will not change his antigun sentiments and will have no effect on what his administration will do to further reduce 2nd ammendment rights. He's anti gun and will almost certainly remain anti gun. It's in his blood since he was 'reared' in the anti gun Chicago machine.

I dont think anyone really stands a chance of changing Obama's mind on issues. He's kinda vauge about alot of things, but its pretty obvious that he has socalist ideals.

Progun VP? And just who might that be?

Even if the was one (and I don't think there is anyone Obama might choose who would be progun), they won't have any real authority.

The office of the Vice President is a political dead end. mostly. They can cast the deciding vote in the event of a tie in the Senate, and they become president if the President is killed or otherwise removed from office. Other than that, they make speeches, go to official functions (funerals, etc) where a govt presence in needed, but not important enough to rate the Pres.

They can work in the administration, expressing their views and opinions, but those carry no legal weight. The Pres and his administration can ignore the VP is they wish, and there is nothing the VP can do about it. So even a progun VP wouldn't likely do us any good, unless they had the force of personality to influence the Pres and Congress, and that seems highly unlikely. Historically, the most common function of the VP (that makes news)is to embarass the Pres and his administration by shooting off their mouth, and doing or saying something stupid. Most of the time, that seems to about all they do. They are usually very involved with the party and its organization, but unless something happens to the Pres, they can't do very much to affect policy. I can't remember and VP running for Pres actually getting elected in the past 50+ years, either, except one (GHW Bush), and that was because pf how popular Reagan was, not how popular Bush was.

Jim Webb was recruited to run for the Senate by Charlie Schumer. It was part of a strategy to control the Senate by having pro-gun democrats go up against pro-gun Republicans.

It was a political strategy that worked.

O'bama will pick a vice pres. based on what will benefit him the most--- taking into account numerous factors from the basic tactic of picking a VP from an important state that he might otherwise might not win, to whatever his strategists feel would be most beneficial.

Like stealing pro gun votes from around the country from McCain? I'm not sure that'll be his main consideration---but who knows?

A pro gun VP could be a liability to gun owners by helping an anti-gunner get elected. How much influence would a pro gun VP have then-- in an O'Bama administration?

"...office of the Vice President is a political dead end..." That's putting it mildly too. When Truman took office he knew nothing about the major war plans nor had he been told about the Manhattan Project.

NRA-ILA:
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=3991

The presidential primary season is finally over, and it is now time for gun owners to take a careful look at just where apparent nominee Barack Obama stands on issues related to the Second Amendment. During the primaries, Obama tried to hide behind vague statements of support for “sportsmen” or unfounded claims of general support for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

But his real record, based on votes taken, political associations, and long standing positions, shows that Barack Obama is a serious threat to Second Amendment liberties. Don’t listen to his campaign rhetoric! Look instead to what he has said and done during his entire political career.

FACT: Barack Obama voted to allow reckless lawsuits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry.

FACT: Barack Obama wants to re-impose the failed and discredited Clinton Gun Ban.

FACT: Barack Obama voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and sport shooting.

FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a complete ban on handgun ownership.

FACT: Barack Obama supports local gun bans in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and other cities.

FACT: Barack Obama voted to uphold local gun bans and the criminal prosecution of people who use firearms in self-defense.

FACT: Barack Obama supports requiring law-abiding gun owners to register their firearms.

FACT: Barack Obama refused to sign a friend-of-the-court brief in support of individual Second Amendment rights in the Heller case.

FACT: Barack Obama wants to eliminate your Right to Carry.

FACT: Barack Obama was a member of the Board of Directors of the Joyce Foundation, the leading source of funds for anti-gun organizations and “research.”

FACT: Barack Obama supported a proposal to ban gun stores within 5 miles of a school or park, which would eliminate almost every gun store in America.

FACT: Barack Obama voted not to notify gun owners when the state of Illinois did records searches on them.

FACT: Barack Obama voted against a measure to lower the Firearms Owners Identification card age minimum from 21 to 18, a measure designed to assist young people in the military.

FACT: Barack Obama favors a ban on standard capacity magazines.

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory micro-stamping.

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory waiting periods.

FACT: Barack Obama supports repeal of the Tiahrt Amendment, which prohibits information on gun traces collected by the BATFE from being used in reckless lawsuits against firearm dealers and manufacturers.

FACT: Barack Obama supports “one-gun-a-month” sales restrictions.

FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on inexpensive handguns.

FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on the resale of police issued firearms, even if the money is going to police departments for replacement equipment.

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory firearm training requirements for all gun owners and a ban on gun ownership for persons under the age of 21.

I cranked up a thread similar to yours that posed Richardson as VP....

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297362

Hope this gives you some other viewpoints as well...

Even if the was one (and I don't think there is anyone Obama might choose who would be progun), they won't have any real authority.
The office of the Vice President is a political dead end. mostly. They can cast the deciding vote in the event of a tie in the Senate, and they become president if the President is killed or otherwise removed from office. Other than that, they make speeches, go to official functions (funerals, etc) where a govt presence in needed, but not important enough to rate the Pres.

Sooooo...all of the shrill I've heard the last seven years about the "dangers" Dick Chaney is is really....shrill?:eek:;)

Enough Vice Presidents have either become President or at least ran for it
that the office has long since ceased to be what John Nance Garner described it as, and in his case he was a conservative Southern Democrat who found himself at odds with the Party's Northern and Progreesive wing and increasingly out maneuvered and isolated by them. In Obama's case, he's going to have to tack to the Right without alienating the Party's Left base, at the same time many of the Congress people he needs to get his agenda passed have the Ghost of 1994 looming over them. My personal feeling is he won't ask Hillary but a Hillaryite.

Obama wants the US to agree to the United Nation's Millenium Project. To encourage us to join the Millenium Project Obama has sponsored Senate Bill S2433. In the bill it says that the US will pay 7% of its Gross Domestic Production to the UN to help support the poorer nations of the world. Doesn't this sound like a really NICE gesture? Well, it's not. The Millenium Project is an ALL OR NOTHING AGREEMENT that also has hidden within its structure conditions that include the UN being allowed to house foreign troops inside of the USA and the elimination of ownership of all private firearms. The liberal press pushes Obama's bill but hides the part of the UN project that includes the anti-gun stuff and foreign troops on our shores.

Back