If I was a Violator

Have dozed off so many times over the years in my Tree Lounger I've been thinking of installing a seat belt. :o
But when that morning sun gets beaten down on ya on a beautiful Sat. morning and you've put in 50-65 hrs. work that previous week, well...you know the rest.

And yes, have actually had deer wake me up with the rustling of leaves etc.

for me, Half the fun of hunting

or more than half, is the preparation.
In addition to deer hunting dad loved photography, I remember as a kid him building a rifle stock complete with a trigger to mount and activate his camera. That way he'd be able to scout around prior to the season and when that big buck jumped up in front of him BANG! he'd shoot a picture of it.
At least that was the theory. I don't remember it working all that well- but like i said getting ready was half the fun;)

as for infrared well you certainly can't (for deer) put it on your gun and shoot something in the dark but I can "see" it being a lot of fun for scouting around.

While it seems sorta unfair, I doubt that it's illegal to use some sort of sensing device(s) around a blind or stand during legal hunting hours. Infra-red or motion detector...

in a lot of states night vision scopes are authorized for coyote hunting...that sounds like it would be a blast to try out but for hunting deer I wouldn't like that much, having to find the thing, gut it out in the dark and proceed to drag it back in the dark..... no thank you

infrared also just seems like a waste of money, heavy underbrush will conceal the animals heat signatures anyway.

in my state however with the exception of illuminated reticules, and electronic calls(predators only) no battery powered hunting equipment may be used at all for hunting purposes.

I don't see anything wrong with such devices for deer in WI.
http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/wm/WM0431.pdf

It does not appear to be a problem for Idaho either, so long as the electronic device isn't used while attached to a firearm other than illuminated scopes), though you cannot use electronic calls for deer, but can for certain other big game. You could use sensors, it would appear. The battery powered regulation seems to only apply to what is attached to the firearm or calls.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/docs/rules/bgRules.pdf
Maybe you can find where such is limited?

in a lot of states night vision scopes are authorized for coyote hunting...that sounds like it would be a blast to try out but for hunting deer I wouldn't like that much, having to find the thing, gut it out in the dark and proceed to drag it back in the dark..... no thank you

infrared also just seems like a waste of money, heavy underbrush will conceal the animals heat signatures anyway.

Infrared works better in heavy brush than night vision. I have both. Night vision requires both light and contrast to see things. A well camo'd animal in daylight is well camo'd with night vision save for the possibility of eyeshine if you are using an illuminator. With thermal, animals glow. A hog concealed behind 2 feet of tangled briar that you can't see with a flashlight, normal eyesight in daylight, or night vision (not enough light or too much light reflected from the foliage from your illuminator just like with a flashlight) can often be spotted readily by the bright white glow showing through breaks in the foliage. Thermal vision is very cool.

Back when I used to deer hunt a lot, before I let my wife and son carry the deer hunting load, I have taken many a nice nap in the woods, usually a nice cool day, with plenty of bright sunshine, find a nice spot at the base of a tree out of the wind and heck you just can't stay awake. I have even moved once because deer kep moving around and waking me up, once with a snort at close range that scared out of a years growth. It was then that I realized that being in the woods was much more important to me than hunting deer. Know I enjoy my wife's and sons excitement at taking a nice deer. After season I have been known to set in a deer stand with a .22 Rifle and play havoc with squirrels.

I am a fan of the 20 minutes sit, 20 minutes stand, 20 minutes sleep method. I am a cat napper. I do not fidget when I sleep and I am very careful when I open my eyes. This is in a stand or on the ground.

Sometimes I walk about to cure the boredom.

I tried bringing my tablet to play games but the snow messed up the touch screen abilities<--wish I was joking.

For me its the meat (love the taste), the hike (scenery), the stalk (adrenalin), the shot (more adrenalin), the recovery ( I would never work that hard for anyone), and the camp companionship. If I don't get one, I get to try again the next day.

Back