If I was a Violator

warbirdlover

I'd get one of those infrared sensors like they use in all these paranormal shows on tv. I could see them coming! Right now I never know which direction to watch. If I look out one way they'll be a deer sneaking behind me etc etc. It gets pretty frustrating.

Of course these are illegal for obvious reasons.

Are they illegal? Maybe so but in MO I am not really sure. It would be a pain, having to point that thing around all the time, more movement etc., batteries would go bad, and it would make it impossible for me to take naps.

Now one like they use on the "where is bigfoot" shows, that they put on a remote control helicopter would be pretty handy, make a pass over my stand area, if nothing shows up back to sleep!!

With the wi-fi remote cameras, couldn't you just place a bunch around your area and watch to see where the deer bed down before you even leave the house??:p

To most of us that hunt, it's not the kill, but the hunt that keeps us in the woods. Once the challenge of the hunt is gone, it is no longer a hunt but a shoot. When one needs modern technology and electronic gadgets to be successful instead of skill and woodsmanship, it goes from being a sport to being a joke. Funny tho, especially when it comes to deer, how the pressure to produce and pressure from peers turns many a sportsman into a violator. There is a big difference tho between the hunting of game animals and the control of nuisance animals/predators and for the latter, IMHO, anything is fair.

Last edited:
''It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase"
About the only "new" technology I use anymore is the timer on my feeder. I even got rid of my trail camera. It doesn't tell me much more that's actually useful than footprints and droppings. If I'm gonna sit in my stand I don't even bother with camo anymore.

''It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase"
About the only "new" technology I use anymore is the timer on my feeder. I even got rid of my trail camera. It doesn't tell me much more that's actually useful than footprints and droppings. If I'm gonna sit in my stand I don't even bother with camo anymore.

Thrill of the chase is sitting over a feeder. I don't think you understand the concept...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Warbird, just get one of those helmet mounted rearview mirrors that bicyclist wear. Proverbial eyes in the back of your head:p

Thrill of the chase is sitting over a feeder. I don't think you understand the concept...

Some folks, for whatever reason, are less able or willing to do as much chasing as others.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job.

-Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting

Some people have different "extras" than others, I guess......

Me, maybe I'm not a true "Sportsman", as I will not refuse a perfectly good dead deer if it were given to me, but I enjoy planning the hunt, walking in before daybreak, listening to the world come alive.... I'll try for my own, as well!

I used to do the fair chase bit, but deer run a lot faster than I can and I've picked up a few pounds over the years. I much prefer sitting in a box stand, watching a crossing, near a creek, with a feeder. I've also got my smartphone, my tunes, and my thermos. A comfortable chair and a propane heater. Once I get ensconced in my stand, I don't much care if syrup goes to six bits a sop.

I shoot the odd deer occasionally, mainly old does and weird little spike bucks that come around (we've got a genetic problem on the lease, and I'm trying to thin them out). I really think that if a magnificent 12 pointer came out, I'd try for a photo and let him walk. We need his genetics, and when I'm eating fried backstrap it's hard to tell which deer it came from.

I used to duck hunt with an old man who would pour his coffee, light his pipe, and remark "if the ducks don't come here, they won't get shot." He never picked up a duck call, and only shot the ones trying to land in the blocks. I've adopted his hunting style, but adapted it to whitetail deer.

To each his/her own on what equipment he needs for hunting. Personally I think most of the hype about camo, sensors, etc. is just from smart marketing, but if that's your bag, it's fine with me. I just love sneaking thru the woods with my wool hunting togs, or sitting on a stand. A day in the woods for me includes all that. Equipment is a minor part of the hunt.

I usually use an old Remington 30-06 pump rifle bought used 50 years ago, and it looks it. I have nicer guns, but they are a different hobby from hunting to this old geezer! :)

To most of us that hunt, it's not the kill, but the hunt that keeps us in the woods. Once the challenge of the hunt is gone, it is no longer a hunt but a shoot. When one needs modern technology and electronic gadgets to be successful instead of skill and woodsmanship, it goes from being a sport to being a joke.

agreed. I think it also takes the fun out of hunting imo. why even bother if you're going to have an advantage that wasn't there before technology took over? if thousands of hunters could hunt deer successfully in years past there's no reason why hunters today can't do the same thing.

Right behind ya PawPaw...
...and more power to ya. ;)

Try to stay in the best shape I can but age , old injuries and arthritis are starting to take their toll.
Currently mostly use a climbing stand for bow hunting but can see myself in a box blind shortly. And buying stock in "Aleve" is on the agenda as well.:rolleyes:

Never-the-less, the 'spark' and enjoyment of being in the woods is still strong and I'll adapt as things see fit.

I never liked carrying a bunch of gear of whatever sort. Wide-open country, binoculars are good, but for woods hunting I just go with pretty much a minimum. Sneaky-snaking has always been the most fun way to hunt, even though it's not as successful as sitting on a hillside watching deer trails in the evening.

Personally, I enjoy a good nap while hunting. Every now and again I will wake up and look around. Hopefully I won't see anything and have to do all that gutting and stuff messing up a perfectly good afternoon.

There may well be something to what I've read about "hunter's doze". More than once I've dozed off for a nap and awakened to see a buck not far off. Sometimes worth shooting, sometimes not, but still rather entertaining: "Well, would you look at what came visiting!" :D

Maybe it's because you are very still as you sleep...or maybe it's the snoring attracting bucks that think it's a bucksnort:p

Back